Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

polisher/sander

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polisher/sander

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
I picked up one of these from my work. I was going to get a portal cable but since I get 20% off i decided to go with this. Where can i get the foam pads for it I see people using? Also I will be detailing my mothers van this week end and there are some real light scratchs that need to be buffed out so I was going to use this. Any advise on how to use it/what to use with it?
Old 05-26-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shoot man I wouldn't play with that thing. Have you used one before or have any real experience? That's a circular polisher and you can really mess up paint if you don't know what you're doing. Keep it moving and watch those edges is my only advice if you decide to 'give it a whirl.'

I notice it said random orbital in the description but I wouldn't trust it if it doubles as a sander.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, you can burn paint quickly with that.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Banned

You can use that on metal polishing!!! Seriously!
Old 05-26-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

www.properautocare.com sells the same unit, as well as the backing plates and pads for it. Like the others have said, it's a circular polisher, and those "don't play around". My best advice would be to either practice on a car you don't care too much about, or go to a junkyard and buy a hood or trunk lid (anything that has been clearcoated) and practice on that.

Have fun!

-Mike
Old 05-26-2006, 09:00 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The key to using a circular polisher is just like everyone has said, keep it moving or else it will burn through your clear coat and into the color and even through that if you're not careful. I would start with it at a low low speed and don't use any pressure and make sure the paint is cool to begin with. Polish the paint for 5-10 seconds and then feel the area to see how much heat was generated. The key is to keep the paint below a certain temperature, I think it's something like 130 degrees or some where around there, but the key is just like they said, practice with it on something you don't mind messing up.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
www.properautocare.com sells the same unit, as well as the backing plates and pads for it. Like the others have said, it's a circular polisher, and those "don't play around". My best advice would be to either practice on a car you don't care too much about, or go to a junkyard and buy a hood or trunk lid (anything that has been clearcoated) and practice on that.

Have fun!

-Mike
I think thats a good idea so the PC ones are not the same as this? mabey i should have got one of those
Old 05-26-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by steves97z28
I think thats a good idea so the PC ones are not the same as this? mabey i should have got one of those

what you have is a rotary. very dangerous in the hands of someone unfamiliar with their proper use.

the PC is a high speed dual action orbital, sometimes called a DA. if has two planes of motion, and generates much less heat. unless you are absolutely careless, it is very difficult to damage your paint using a PC.

the rotary will do a nice job, but it can also cause you a lot of pain, very quickly.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, other people have been nice about it, but if you don't even know where to get pads... you really are asking for trouble using a straight rotarty like this.

Send it back and get a PC. You don't want to learn the difference between buffing and burning.

Quick Reply: polisher/sander