Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How many layers of polish, glaze and wax?

Old 05-26-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many layers of polish, glaze and wax?

I am almost finished pc-ing the scratches and swirls out of my car. I am ready to move on. How many layers of polish (I am using the 3M polish and /or Menzerna FPII, white pad @ 5000rpm), glaze (Mothers glaze and sealant, black pad @ 3000rpm), and wax(I have Meguiars NXT and Gold Class, blue pad, @ 3000 rpm) do you use and how long to wait between layers? Input is always appreciated.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:05 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I do the full line of Menzerna, the Intense Polish, then the Final Polish, and finish it off with the Menzerna FMJ.

Here's what you are doing with these different steps. The intense polish is just that, it is designed to get out the large scratches, swirls, etc. Then you move onto the Final Polish which is less abrassive, and smooths out what the Intense polish didn't complete. At this point, your clear coat is as smooth as possible, getting you the best reflection possible. Now you can seal the paint with the wax/sealant of your choice.

The best comparison is comparing it to the process of finishing fine wood. You sand it with a low grit / high abrassive sand paper first, something like 200. Then progressively move up to 1000 or even higher in order to get the wood as smooth as possible. Now you can seal the wood with a good clear enamel any other type of sealant / wax.

So if you have polished your paint really well, now your ready to seal in your hard work and efforts with a good wax. Depending on the type of wax, it may be able to layer on top of the clear coat. Some do, some don't.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:23 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I reread your post and you were asking about how long to wait in between each layer. You really don't have to wait, it's more of how long to wait to remove the current layer, which I usually do a few panels at a time, give it 5-10 minutes and then remove with a micro fiber towel. I can usually get the entire car done in an hour or two, depending on how ambitious I am. The cure time is usually pretty quick.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Makes alot of sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many layers of polish, glaze and wax?