Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

CME guys, just some questions

Old 06-22-2006, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CME guys, just some questions

Mine is on the way and I just had a couple questions:

1. How much did you pay to have the valence painted? (and was it done cheaper by a friend or did you pay in full for it at a shop?)

2. Did you put it on yourself (if it wasn't on your car stock) or have a shop do it for you? If so, how much did they charge you to install it?

3. Where all did you apply the tape to put the valence on the bumper? I might use tape and some emblem adhesive or glue on the back underside as well, but just wanted your thoughts on the best placement of it visually and structurally.

4. Do you have your tips coated in anything? I'm considering having mine coated in a clear powdercoat. How does yours work?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

1) 150 bucks! I had another shop tell me 100, but when I told them what colar I needed, they responded with "chevy black". So I paid a little more to get the right color of black.

2) I put mine on myself

3) The tape go's around the entire valance, also uses 3 pine fasteners.

4) Nothing on my tips yet, I want to get them chromed.

A little tip on the tape, put the tape on before you have the valance painted. I wish I would of!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^That about sums it up
Old 06-22-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

All I know is, CME = teh sEx
Old 06-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Where did you find your setup?

I have only found one place that carries them so far, and still has some in stock.

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Mine is on the way and I just had a couple questions:

1. How much did you pay to have the valence painted? (and was it done cheaper by a friend or did you pay in full for it at a shop?)

2. Did you put it on yourself (if it wasn't on your car stock) or have a shop do it for you? If so, how much did they charge you to install it?

3. Where all did you apply the tape to put the valence on the bumper? I might use tape and some emblem adhesive or glue on the back underside as well, but just wanted your thoughts on the best placement of it visually and structurally.

4. Do you have your tips coated in anything? I'm considering having mine coated in a clear powdercoat. How does yours work?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro SS

A little tip on the tape, put the tape on before you have the valance painted. I wish I would of!
You mean to take off one side of the double-sided tape, stick it to the inside of the valence, and have them paint over it? Then you take off the other side of the tape before putting it onto the bumper and the edges of the tape are therefore painted and won't show?

Did I get that right? I would think that having paint and clearcoat over the tape might make it hard to get the backing off.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Yes, thats right. If you dont, like I didnt, you will see the tape. It buged the heck out of me. I ended up getting some black seam sealer and filled it in. Looks better than seeing that tape.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, thats right. If you dont, like I didnt, you will see the tape. It buged the heck out of me. I ended up getting some black seam sealer and filled it in. Looks better than seeing that tape.

I would not recommend painting and clearcoating over the tape, it would most likely chip or flake when you installed the valance as you must press it firmly against the bumper when installing to get the tape to stick properly. Plus what if you wanted/needed to remove the valance later, you would risk more paint damage. Noty a good idea in my book.

The secret to having the edge of the tape "dissapear" when installed is to simply install the tape to the valance and before attaching to your rear bumper just take a black "Sharpie" marker and color the top edge of the tape. It really is that simple and costs nothing to do.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had mine I didn't use the tape they supplied... I went to a paint shop & bought some 3M black acrylic tape... It's the same width as the stuff supplied, but it's not as thick & is a hell of alot stickier... Using this stuff I couldn't see any of the tape after install... Also I recommend using some 3M addhesive promoter on the valance before laying the tape... You'll see a little ridge line on the valance & that's where you want the bottom of your tape to be... You should have a little over a 1/4 inch gap between the top off the valance & tape.... I also hung the valance with the retainers first & then proceeded with fitting the valnce a section at a time... It kinda acted like a guide with it hung by the retainers... On my tips, I smoothed them & painted them black while leaving the lips polished... Good luck with it & take your time!

-Mike
Old 06-22-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) I found my valance on ebay already painted onyx black
2) I had my body man put it on
3) See #2
4) I have my tips clear powdercoated...I left the leading edges uncoated so that they could be polished.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Teching In

or u can do what some people did and have it molded on so the cme and bumper is all one piece
Old 06-22-2006, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS LS1
I would not recommend painting and clearcoating over the tape, it would most likely chip or flake when you installed the valance as you must press it firmly against the bumper when installing to get the tape to stick properly. Plus what if you wanted/needed to remove the valance later, you would risk more paint damage. Noty a good idea in my book.

The secret to having the edge of the tape "dissapear" when installed is to simply install the tape to the valance and before attaching to your rear bumper just take a black "Sharpie" marker and color the top edge of the tape. It really is that simple and costs nothing to do.
Yes, thats works for us with the black cars, but his isnt. If the painter puts a light coat of base color, he wont have a problem. I might be wrong
Old 06-22-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

I might see if I can get a pewter touch-up paint pen to do on the top edge of the tape. Hopefully that will work well, because if I use a sharpie, you'll still see it since my car is pewter.

How much did you guys pay to have your valences painted?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my valence was 150 for paint, and autozone sells gm reproduction paint pens that work FANTASTIC!!!! i would use one of those to match the 3m stuff, also, i used automotive goop to secure my valence, it holds 100000x stronger than the 3m stuff, dries clear and doesnt damage the paint, plus you get the closest bond for the valence and the car leaving no gap what-so-ever. if your interested in this method, autozone sells it as well, and its only like 5.00.

what i did was, connect the pin things that are on the car, so it holds itself up, then i took a jack and jacked the valence up till it was as flush as possible to the car. I then went under the car with the goop and glued the **** out of the valence, let it set for about 2 hours on an 80 degree day, and it was good to go. the best thing is, the glue is very rubbery so if you need to take it off it will not damage your paint.

good luck!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TP121
Where did you find your setup?

I have only found one place that carries them so far, and still has some in stock.
are you talking about a whole CME kit or just tips and valence?
Old 06-23-2006, 04:15 AM
10 Second Club

oh yeah this is a bookmark thread for me......thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, thats works for us with the black cars, but his isnt. If the painter puts a light coat of base color, he wont have a problem. I might be wrong
Works on non black colored cars too. There is always going to be a shadow line where the CME valance meets the bumper anyway (unless blended together) so the black edge of the tape just blends in.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone know where to get the rear 2 gold hanger brackets for the Dual/Dual? I tried calling SLP about them and they said that it should be a GM part.

I told them: "I wouldn't think so, seeing as it was your exhaust and you guys modified the SS for GM. Plus you sell them along with your Dual/Dual/Powerflo exhaust systems." He told me that SLP simply used the stock hangers on the rear of the SS's to mount it and that it was a GM part. Well, I tried two GM dealerships and neither of them had the part... because obviously GM never made the Dual/Dual catback! I asked why GM would have the part if it was SLP that put the catback on and used their own aftermarket exhaust.

I guess I need to call SLP back and just ram it through their thick skulls that they do indeed have the part I'm looking for?
Old 06-23-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could probably see if you can get the stock hangers since SLP catbacks use the stock hanger locations. Either that or get a muffler shop to fab some up for you. Pretty sure that's the easiest way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CME guys, just some questions