Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

t-top sunshades

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t-top sunshades

I just got this 99 Z28 and I wanted to install the sunshades because it is 100 degrees here and I want to save the inside from the heat. Is there some way to install these things where the trim panels will not get scratched up. the edge of the sunshades are right at the trim panel and have run scratches on these panels. I tried to get them to go under the panel but it did not work out. I don't know if the former owner put the velcro tabs where I can't really get it to go under the panel or maybe it really will not go underneath and everyone has this problem. I am new to this so help me out please if there are some tricks to installing these things. I also want to make sure I don't have any leaks. It appears these shades are sitting on top of the weatherstrip or in a groove there. They are not suppose to go underneath the weatherstrip are they?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never used the velco tabs on mine... when I want to use them, I take out the t-tops... sit the the shades on the ttops... and then just put them back on the car with the sunshade at once. I keep mine in all summer long and I dont have any leaks.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

The shades should be inside the car and not in any weather stripping. Mine install with the tab along the outside latch (shade tucks into a slot near the latch handle and this controls the side to side positioning) and I fine tune their position before I lock the T-Tops in place to make sure the shades are centered (front to back). Close the latch and lock it and they are in and keeping the sun out from the top anyway.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are the shades suppose to go under the trim panels? I saw the notches on both ends but mine would not tuck under the trim panels where you can't see the notches. Let me know if they are suppose to tuck underneath. I was going by the owners manual and it wasn't much help. The corners have scratch the trim panels.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes.. they are supposed to go under the trim.. I stick mine under the trim and the push them down onto the velcro after they're under there.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I worked on them again last night. Mine are slightly warped and made it hard to put underneath the trim panels. I hope when I take them out I have not scratched the t-top glass from all the trying to get them to go underneath.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:24 AM
12 Second Club

You would need something really sharp or abrasive to scratch glass. They should be fine. The scratches on the trim are probably from the previous owner putting the sunshades up and wedging them in place rather than opening the T-Top, sliding it under the trim and closing the T-Top with the shade in position.

Last edited by Hugger Z; 07-27-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to really push hard to get those things to go underneath the panels. Hopefully I didn't scratch anything up. I think the pieces being warped caused alot of the problem. I may buy new latch covers if I can get some the same color and I will be more carefull installing them.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have any pictures? They should not be this much trouble. If I can I will try to snap a few of mine and what it should look like.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
Do you have any pictures? They should not be this much trouble.

Mine have like a quarter-inch gap between the glass and the plastic trim. When the tops are in the trunk, I can hold the shades against the glass and let go and they will literally fall into place.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AnimalSS

Mine have like a quarter-inch gap between the glass and the plastic trim. When the tops are in the trunk, I can hold the shades against the glass and let go and they will literally fall into place.

Mine are the same way, easy to install. chevygirl seems to be having a lot of trouble which is why I asked for pictures.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have a digital camera yet. Still living in the dark ages. Mine do not slip in place easy. I have to hold the edge and push hard. Especially on the pass. side. I think these things are warped from not being used and sitting in the trunk. I even scratched up the trim panels because of it. Thanks for your help. I may have to buy some new ones and the trim panels. I hope when I take them out Saturday that I didn't mark up the top glass close to the trim panel where I had to push the covers down to get them to go under these trim panels. I always get the weird things that happen to me and nobody else. No wonder ya'll think I am crazy because you all just slide yours in place. I figured they were suppose to go under the trim panel because of the notches on the shade. Thanks fuys for your help!!!!!

Quick Reply: t-top sunshades