Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

polishing

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polishing

I polished the face of my brake calipers awhile ago and was very pleased with how they came out. However, I've been hesitant to try something like my throttle body because of all the tight spaces. How is it possible to polish in all the nooks and crannies?

thanks
scott
Old 08-06-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slowscott
I polished the face of my brake calipers awhile ago and was very pleased with how they came out. However, I've been hesitant to try something like my throttle body because of all the tight spaces. How is it possible to polish in all the nooks and crannies?

thanks
scott

Use tooling that physically fits or conforms to the area or shape that you're trying to polish.

1. Give it a quick once over with a tapered carbide burr to knock down all the numbers, tooling marks, and cast parting lines, etc.

2. Get some greaseless compounds and a set of mini buffs. Buffs are flexible, so they can be squeezed into tight corners and made to conform to the shape of what you're sanding. The greaseless compound is like the sandpaper. You simply load the buffing wheel up with the appropriate grit, let it sit to dry for a few minutes, and then go to town. LS1 throttle bodies aren't too terribly rough or porous, so the casting should be smoothed out relatively quick with the 80 grit greaseless. Exhaust all 4 grits.

Be very careful when you're working around the machined areas or where sensor components bolt on. As an example, if you "mow down" the area where the TPS mounts up, there's a risk that it won't seat correctly when you reinstall it and that'll throw your fuel tables all out of whack. If you're uncomfortable with trying to handle an area like this, it will help to safeguard things if you leave the TPS on the throttle body and just mask it off really good with tape to protect it during sanding.

I'm assuming that when you did your brake calipers that you finish buffed them with spiral sewn and loose cotton wheels in combination with emery and white rouge compounds. Same protocol as with those for finishing the throttle body. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Banned

thanks
scott
If you wanna save the hassle of sanding/polishing & the money on getting the special buffs/arbors, you can just pay me $80/exchange and I'll get them to a chrome-like finish. Flawless.

Give me a call or Pm anytime ~Joshua 678/492/6843

Old 08-06-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=FIREHAWK#608]If you wanna save the hassle of sanding/polishing & the money on getting the special buffs/arbors, you can just pay me $80/exchange and I'll get them to a chrome-like finish. Flawless.

Give me a call or Pm anytime ~Joshua 678/492/6843[QUOTE=FIREHAWK#608]

Congrats on the sponsorship, joshua. Ive always admired you work. Good luck to you. You site is coming along nice
Old 08-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
Congrats on the sponsorship, joshua. Ive always admired you work. Good luck to you. You site is coming along nice
Thanks, I havn't forgotten how you helped me with the sig picture sizing over a year ago. I appreciate you, let me know if there's anthing I can help with in the future. ~Joshua
Old 08-06-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Josh are your t/b ported and polished?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CashMoney
Josh are your t/b ported and polished?
These are polished on the outside only for that price. If you want it ported on the inside including polishing the inside and throttle blade that can be done also.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

pm sent
Old 08-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CashMoney
pm sent
Pm replied! ~Joshua
Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
If you wanna save the hassle of sanding/polishing & the money on getting the special buffs/arbors, you can just pay me $80/exchange and I'll get them to a chrome-like finish. Flawless.

Give me a call or Pm anytime ~Joshua 678/492/6843
Your work is what inspired me to want to learn how to do this. To me learning is as important as the finished product. I'm in college and over the summer I get very bored. Thanks for the offer though, your stuff really does look amazing.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Wow 80 bucks.. not bad.. i think i might have to send mine your way some time in the near future.. that thing is blingin!!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned

Your work is what inspired me to want to learn how to do this. To me learning is as important as the finished product. I'm in college and over the summer I get very bored. Thanks for the offer though, your stuff really does look amazing.
That comment made my day! Good luck with everything, it takes lots of practice and willpower. Hope it turns out like the picture you have in your mind. ~Joshua

Quick Reply: polishing