Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

carbon fiber ceta

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fiber ceta

has anyone done this? is there a way to paint it to where it would look like carbon fiber? or would u jst have to lay cf resin and do it that way. i think on a black car it would look pretty good if done right.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

There isn't a paint that can mimick it.

Good luck on laying carbon fiber mat over it. Carbon fiber doesn't like laying down around curves.

It's a pipe dream.....
Old 08-11-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeh there is a way to paint the CF on there, theres a thread on a v8rx7 board on how to do it. Ill look for it right now.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by farnoush
Yeh there is a way to paint the CF on there, theres a thread on a v8rx7 board on how to do it. Ill look for it right now.
Hard to believe it would look good.

Carbon fiber has a "glitter" that glows from within...

Old 08-11-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here it is: http://www.torquecentral.com/showthr...t=carbon+fiber
Old 08-11-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Hard to believe it would look good.

Carbon fiber has a "glitter" that glows from within...

DEFINATELY not as good as real CF, but it kind of pulls off the CF look dont you think?
Old 08-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by farnoush
DEFINATELY not as good as real CF, but it kind of pulls off the CF look dont you think?
Honestly, I'd be lying if I said it looked good...
Old 08-11-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've thought about this a few times, and I think to pull off a (real) carbon fiber CETA panel you'd actually have to use two rear bumpers: one being a "puzzle piece" and one being an "unfinished puzzle."

The challenge with getting the carbon fiber on there and having it look right is with the seam or groove that runs along the perimeter of the CETA that "outlines" it. The edge of wherever carbon fiber gets cut tends to become frayed, so if you were actually able to cut out a piece in the exact shape of the CETA panel outline then you'd have to contend with tucking a frayed edge into that groove and trying to keep the line that divided it from the painted part clean. The idea of using two bumpers is that you'd cut the CETA panel out of the first one and wrap the sheet of carbon fiber around it to where the frayed edge was around the backside and out of sight, and then you'd insert that piece into the second bumper that had it's CETA panel cut out. To finish it out I'd probably just fill the cut between the two halves with extra carbon fiber resin. (But not totally fill in the groove.)

Since the carbon fibered piece's edge would be finished off nice and smooth, the corresponding groove in the other bumper that it would be inserted into would then have a nice clean line that separated the painted part from the carbon fibered part.

Last edited by thesoundandthefury; 08-11-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Banned

Why doesn't someone just get their whole rear bumper piece wrapped in CF for like a crazy amount of money then just paint everything except for the valence and that'll solve everything. (imagine someone saying this with a semi-sarcastic tone while also implying that it could be done for the right amount of money)

Or get a rear bumper molded out of CF and paint it. Either way it'd be a lot of $ and less of a headache than trying to figure out how to just wrap the lower valence part of the bumper.
There is also that Carbon2 ****, I don't know how it looks compared to real CF but it's less of a hassle than real CF and might give you that look you are looking for. Ok I think I'm done with ideas for this.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol, non-slip matting. That's actually pretty creative. Someone is using their noggin. I personally think it looks no-where near as good as the real thing, but like one of the guys said, at least it's not a giant sticker.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
Why doesn't someone just get their whole rear bumper piece wrapped in CF for like a crazy amount of money then just paint everything except for the valence and that'll solve everything.
I thought about doing it that way too at first, but then I thought about what a royal PITA it would be to get the carbon fiber to lay down in the "PONTIAC" lettering molded into the bumper and look right, in addition to getting the rear marker light openings cut out to the exact shape and size of the lenses...

I guess if a person didn't care they could probably fill in those two areas with bondo and just carbon fiber over them, but that would be a personal preference kinda thing.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Banned

I wouldn't care for the PONTIAC part, the side markers would be that big of a hassle. Just make the cuts for the holes and slide the side markers in. It would just be a lot of money to do that!

Quick Reply: carbon fiber ceta