Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How to blend in CME valence with rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to blend in CME valence with rear bumper

Alright guys, here's the deal. I will be getting a hood in the next month-haven't decided between the VFN 3in SS, Mike Moran or Sunoco yet, but regardless it's going to have to be painted. My front half of the car has so many scratches on it that I'm just going to have them blend it all in up front. I have CME outback and backed over a curb and scratched the paint up pretty bad. It hangs down a bit as well. I am going to take it off and retape it up and screw a few bolts through the bottom lip as well (you won't be able to see them at all). Anyways, a guy on here blended the CME valence onto the rear bumper and made it look like one piece. I was going to have the shop paint the back again for me as well, but I wanted to blend it before bringing it in. Do I just need to sand it down to rough it up, drill a few holes for the bondo to catch, bondo it, and sand it? Tips are welcome, I think a blended CME looks a lot less tacky than a piece just stuck on there. Thanks
Old 08-13-2006, 11:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use bondo, you're already doing the wrong thing. It will crack.

Use a urethane body filler.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

man i remember seeing a pic of the car you're talking about with the "shaved" CME where it was all one piece with the bumper...made me wanna do it to mine.

I'm no body man, but i don't think bondo would hold together well. would crack down the road....
Old 08-14-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

I think I'll just ask the body shop how much they'll charge to do it for me, if its to much, I'll survive without it being blended.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonZ28
If you use bondo, you're already doing the wrong thing. It will crack.

Use a urethane body filler.
Dragon is absolutely right. Bondo cures extremely hard, which causes it to crack if there is any movement. If it' s applied too thick, it can crack, but if it' s applied in thin layer over urethane such as that case you' re referring to, if there is ANY movement, it' s gonna crack.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the guy who had his done said after paint and body work for the whole thing it was 600.00 which honestly isnt too bad.

Quick Reply: How to blend in CME valence with rear bumper