Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Daily dirt control on a black car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Daily dirt control on a black car...

How do you do it?

Almost every day, I go horseback riding, which means going down a 1/4 mile dirt road. Doesn't matter how slow I go, the car is covered in dust when I get home...I'm afraid to use the spray on cleaners, won't that just smear the dust and scratch the paint?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A california duster works about the best.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

time to save up lots of money to get that dirt road fix
Old 08-14-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I daily drive my TA 50-60 miles a day and own my own detailing company at the same time, so I've got to keep mine as clean as possible. I have had swirl problems with the california duster meaning they are causing swirl problems on my car. I've been through three of them and they ahve all done it.

I use a microfiber towel and the Tropi-Care detail spray. The detail spray has an anti-static agent built into it that will pull the dust off the car and not allow it to be smeared along with providing future static protection to keep dust from hitting it and sticking in the future. It may not be the greatest way, but I go around the car once a day with this method and it stays looking damn near perfect with no swirl or scratch issues at all.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Possibly paint it white or silver... thats all i can think of
Old 08-15-2006, 04:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How much dust are we talking about? A thin layer or caked on? If it is a thin layer, try Meguiar's NXT Speed Detailer with a microfiber towel.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I picked up for $5.99 Meguires Quick Detail, and I tell ya, the stuff works awesome. I drive to work, come home and there will be a thin layer of dust. Spray a couple shots on there, use a microfiber towel, comes right up, no streaking, no marks, no scratches, no swirling. Very happy with it, and its very cheap. Also put lots of wax/polish on, will help keep the surface smooth.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Trent
I daily drive my TA 50-60 miles a day and own my own detailing company at the same time, so I've got to keep mine as clean as possible. I have had swirl problems with the california duster meaning they are causing swirl problems on my car. I've been through three of them and they ahve all done it.

I use a microfiber towel and the Tropi-Care detail spray. The detail spray has an anti-static agent built into it that will pull the dust off the car and not allow it to be smeared along with providing future static protection to keep dust from hitting it and sticking in the future. It may not be the greatest way, but I go around the car once a day with this method and it stays looking damn near perfect with no swirl or scratch issues at all.
Would this work even for thick stuff? It's kind of bad. Not mud or dirt, but it is a pretty good layer of dust from the road
Old 08-15-2006, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

California Car Duster
Old 08-15-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RaNsOm
California Car Duster

Agreed, I use this on my car daily and it works like a charm. I usually follow it up with some detailer spray.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Many folks recommend the California Duster for dark colored cars, but I just can't help but think that it would be a swirl factory. I have owned multiple black cars and I know how easy it is to cause swirl...the Cali Duster seems like asking for trouble. I don't really think there is a solution aside from a color change or avoiding the dirt road.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
Many folks recommend the California Duster for dark colored cars, but I just can't help but think that it would be a swirl factory. I have owned multiple black cars and I know how easy it is to cause swirl...the Cali Duster seems like asking for trouble. I don't really think there is a solution aside from a color change or avoiding the dirt road.
That is the exact reason I havent bought the duster yet, I dont see how it wont put a million swirls in your paint.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:18 PM
12 Second Club

The thing is, IMO, if youre willing to use a microfiber on the car with a quick detailer then I dont see the harm in using a CA duster first. BOTH are going to result in some kind of pushing or rubbing of dirt particles into the paint, even if only for a split second. Ive never had problems with a CA duster. While Im sitting here thinking about it... when you QD and MF the car you actually push into the paint a lot harder then lightly waving the CA duster over the paint. Personally, what I do is lightly CA duster the car and use Meguiars Quick Detailer with a microfiber towel.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

First you have to decide...how dusty is your vehicle. If you can dust it off with the duster *HARDLY* touching the car then you shouldn't worry about swirls. But if your leaving quite a bit of dust behind..then I would highly advise just washing it. Never use pressure with a duster. The least amount of contact to the paint the better and it's always a good idea to follow up with some QD to pick up what is left on the paint. Just my .02
Old 08-15-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

I would think if you kept the car waxed/sealed, these said "particles" wouldn't actually be touching your paint.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

I cant say Ive ever seen any detrimental effects of using California Duster on my car, and I keep close check of any swirls or otherwise. Also as mentioned, keeping the car waxed/sealed should help prevent that from happening.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

if my black car gets dirty i have to leave it until the next wash..thats the best because anything and everything will scratch black!
Old 08-15-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, I remember those days. I dated a girl that lived down a 1/2 mile gravel road when I had a black camaro. I would be scared to do anything but wash it. I would try and keep a good coat of wax on it, and try the duster, then some detail spray and microfiber to finish it up. If you start to notice a good amount of swirls, then buy some compound and get them out, and just wash it from now on. Good luck, black is beautiful when clean, but a bitch to keep that way!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would just keep it waxed and lightly dust it with a duster. mines black and gives me hell all the time, its my daily, to and from school/work. btw nice vette, i want one one day...

Quick Reply: Daily dirt control on a black car...