Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

sucess with rattle canning bumpers...

Old 08-16-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sucess with rattle canning bumpers...

Heres my situation... my cars front bumper is torn apart...

by this i mean the paint only.. not the plastic bumper cover... the paint is spider cracked.. chipped.. flaking you name it all over...

i plan on a paint job some time in the future.. but not too near future as i cant afford it now.. so i was looking at the paint spray cans they have on paintscratch.com and the clear coat spray cans..

so do you think i could pull the bumper off, wetsand it down, primer paint and clear it with those automotive paint spray cans... the rest of the car is great... a small spider crack in the rear bumper and about two small chips on the hood and thats it...

I plan on doing a metallic black next year, but somehow retaining that sleek black look, so this is temporary i just cant stand seeing my Z being all shredded apart on the front especially since i just ordered a billet grill for the front and my wheels are going on this weekend.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been thinking of this too. I'll let you try first and learn from you.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd wrather buy a bra then go through all that work for something that wont match up well. There's a guy on fullthrottlev6 that rattled his camaro bumper, whihc is white, and it doesn't really match that well. He even used duplicolor!

If you can paint with a rattle can well, then give it a shot. It can't possibly look any worse, right?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

I would not go through all the work of taking the bumbper off and preping it just to go and rattle can it. If anything I would just tape it off do a quick prep and spray for now. just remember anything you spray on now you will want to remove completly when you repaint.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Asked the same thing here.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like my front bumper rofl
Old 08-17-2006, 03:57 AM
TECH Addict

Please DON'T put rattle can paint on your car!!
Old 08-17-2006, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

u guys are all doubters.....for a cheap, quick fix its a fine idea. but take ur time with prep and everything. dont do it all in an hour and expect professional lookin results

but imo u should buy a bra. and save for a paint job
Old 08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

I got a few ugly scuffs on my rear bumper that I will be rattle canning out. IMO It cant possibly look any worse with the rattle can than it already does now, so thats all the motivation i need. Above average results can be achieved with a little patience.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, I suppose if your in a situation where "it can't look any worse than it does now" then rattle can job would be fine. I'm just so used to using a spray gun and the nice finish you get, that rattle canning is hard to accept.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

DO NOT RATTLE CAN will ruin your bumper and cost you twice as much to repaint. That nasty **** is a real bitch to sand off will just gumm up the paper. This will cost you more in prep time. I dont care how good you can make it look by spray bombing the bumper it wont last long at all. Spray paint not made to last in the sun or through carh washes or for that matter waxing..Do not do it....you will regret it. Plus man your not driving a pinto or something...
Old 08-17-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're going to go to all the work of prepping it, you might as well do that and take it somewhere to get'em to paint it. The cost of 3-4 rattle cans and you really aren't saving much if you do your own prep.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

If you do rattle can it goto the dealership and ask for touchup paint in a spray can. They'll take your vin and order the paint to match perfectly for you. I didnt go the spraycan route for my stone chips but the paint matches perfectly.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so if i do all the prep work myself, and I have a friend that does lots of body work at his shop he will pretty much do the spraying for just the cost of supplies maybe a tid bit more..

how much do you think it would cost me? if its cheap ill just do that, and since the only other problems on the car is the hood I can just fix that with a new hood and paint perhaps a small cowl hood

THanks for the input ya'll

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sucess with rattle canning bumpers...