Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where's a good place to buy cheap, shitty door panels

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where's a good place to buy cheap, shitty door panels

I am going to be doing both my door panels in my 98 Camaro in silver aluminized fiberglass and black carbon fiber. The leather and carpet areas will be black carbon fiber, the rest will be silver. Anyways, I'd like to keep my stockers as it's going to be 3-4 weeks for this guy to finish my interior up. I would like to find some cheap door panels for a 98 Camaro. By cheap I mean dried, craked leather, scratches everywhere, maybe some cat ****-whatever will make it cheaper. Anybody know a good place?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a junkyard?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

The only 2 junkyards around here that let you pull the parts (you pull=shitty, cheap quality) didn't have any. The other places have them but are wanting $40-$50 a pop for them, I'm not spending $100 for crappy door panels just to cover them.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

been YEARS since I've been to Tulsa, but there used to be one about 5-6 blocks west of Pine/Sheridan. . .

Good luck! ! !
Old 08-28-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Duff, I'll be in that area tomorrow actually, well, 15 miles away; but thats like 30 miles closer than usual!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

man i dont know then, everything i need to experiment on there like 5 or 6 fbodys at a time in a yard here locally... maybe you can get lucky on ebay?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys, I'll check out the salvages in Tulsa today when I'm out that way. Let ya know what I find.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

. . .and then? ? ?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned

Try these guys. Sponsors ===>
Old 09-09-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

I found nothing at the local salvage. Thanks for that link Firehawk, I'll check them out. If I can't find them cheap enough I'm just going to go panel-less while they are getting worked on. I'm dropping all the interior pieces minus the front dash piece and the door panels on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I can't wait to see the final product. It will still be at least a month or so before I can get the door panels and front dash piece done ($$$ over a grand for those 3 alone ). We have been toying with some ideas for the door panels in photoshop but nothing final yet. It is definately going to be a black/silver combo covering the entire door, no leather or carpet left at all. I'm open to any ideas on the doorpanels. To help you come up with some door panel ideas, here's a visual of what the car's finished interior will look like.

Silver aluminized fiberglass
-AC trim
-Guage cluster trim
-radio bezel
-top of center console (molding over ashtray and cig lighter)
-glove box door

Black carbon fiber
-bottom of center console (molding over the rear cupholders)
-center console lid
-both a-pillars (triple pod molded to drivers side)
-t-top shades
-t-top handle mechanism cover
-sunvisors (was going to get done in leather, but just as much $ this way!)
-custom made door sills

Dupont exterior automotive gloss black paint
-Backseat speaker panels
-hatch speaker panels
-t-top holder in hatch
-floor trim
-fuse cover under steering wheel and on the side of the dash

Other random interior info
-Sparco style black leather seats (leaning towards Arizen seats)
-matching reupholstered rear seats
-gloss black plastic headliner
-black molded carpet

The front dash shell will be wrapped completely in black CF, removing and molding over the airbags. I will be running a full 10pt cage. If I get in a wreck the last thing I want is to have no airbags and shards of resinated carbon fiber being shoved into me. The cage will be wrapped in black leather or a black fiberglass material, I'm undecided right now. If everything goes according to plan, the motor that actually needs the cage could be done this time next year (providing I don't get fired or robbed!). There will be other little detail things done, but those are the biggies.

Ok, now that you see where this interior is going, what would YOU do to the door panels? I'd like to hear POSITIVE feedback on a design for them. I definately want both black and silver on them. Any of you photoshoppers feel free to photoshop up your door panel ideas. I'd really like to see what you all can come up with because we only have 2 or 3 working designs right now.

I'll be sure to post pics of the finished products up close and then installed. The final installed pics will probably be towards December or later because the dash shell and door panels are going to take some time. Show season is almost over too and he is going to be doing many other cars besides mine.

The guy doing this told me that he'd be willing to do other people's parts here on LS1tech. Prices for the basic trim pieces are not that bad at all, esp. if you go with aluminized fiberglass. PM me for details if you are interested.

For all the interior haters, I love rice. It is delicious and I can't wait to be surrounded by it.

Quick Reply: Where's a good place to buy cheap, shitty door panels