Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front End Scrapes - Hit Concrete Parking Stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Scrapes - Hit Concrete Parking Stop

Yeah, im an idiot, and very mad at myself for being an idiot. I pulled into a bank to turn around for some gas, and hit the concrete stop in the parking spot. Thats not the worst either, the concrete stop, or what ever its called, had a metal re-bar piece sticking up, that ripped my lower front bumer cover. The rip is not bad, looks like someone took a bit out of it, but the piece is still there, and i have glued with SUMO glue to fix,,,,,BUT,,,,i have paint scrapes all along the bottom of the front end. Is there a product that i can use to "blend" in some blue paint where the new white scrapes are? Im not needing it to be perfect by any means, but the scrapes are now white from the blue paint being scraped off, and the undercoating showing through. Im not intrested in the repair of the scratches,,, you would have to stand on your head to see them, just want the effected area to be be blue. This repair is $380.00 at the dealership, and thats only fixing the bottom, like im doing. i have searched here, and other places for any paint products that would blend in some blue paint, but have had no luck, any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

If you're just looking to paint over the white scratches on the underside of the bumper why dont u just go to the dealership and buy a spray can of touch up paint. They'll want your VIN to match the paint. Other than that I'd say it might be better to goto a junkyard and see if they have an intact front bumper you could take off a car whos paint matches yours.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I remember hitting a curb along the side of the molding on the car. I wanted to cry. Coming from an explorer to the firebird I immediatley noticed the difference in visibility. It is so much harder to see curbs when you're right on top of them. I called around town and the only solution that I could really find was either using touch up paint (which didnt match) or having a body shop mix up a batch of paint to match your car. Around here it was around $30 from them to do a color match. You could also go the scary route and replace it but that was $680
Old 09-02-2006, 03:58 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or, if it's just on the bottom, tape off the bumper and spray the bottom satin/low-gloss black (like the Berger panels)...

Should look factory and easy to fix if future scrapes occur...
Old 09-02-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

Thanx everyone.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the club . I have to avoid so many places because of my front gfx and scraping. It's kinda funny and kinda not that there are some places I can't even go. Those parking lot cement things have caused me so much damage that as of right now my front gfx broke in one area . As soon as I have the money I'm having a body shop do some alterations on it and getting rid of the middle piece. Ive gently and I mean gently tapped those cement things and it has caused cracks up into the front bumper because my gfx were expoxied on there's no give. I really wish I'd never gotten mine put on the front and have been told it's been painted so many times I have to get a whole new front bumper . Anyway I feel your pain. Besides the front of the gfx getting cracks/chips the bottom has scraped as well. I'd do what everyone else said....get some touch up spray paint and blend it. Dont forget the clear coat too. My touch up paint is $90 pint .
Old 09-02-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

that blue might be hard to find, but there are the touchup things at the parts stores. think duplicolor makes it, designed for small scratches and chips.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

DO NOT BUY DUPLICOLOR! I've bought this stuff for touchups and it's terrible! I've even gone as far as the gloss and had the nozzle spray in a stream Now this makes any very angry when the gloss doesn't come out correctly. Besides, duplicolor doesn't contain any hardeners or anything...which I guess can be good when you need to take the crap off with some thinner LOL.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Blending by buffing? or is there a product that i can use to rub them together? By the way,,Sumo glue works great on our lower front bumpers.

Quick Reply: Front End Scrapes - Hit Concrete Parking Stop