Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

CETA bumper...what paint to use? and home or shop job?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CETA bumper...what paint to use? and home or shop job?

sorry i know this post can get old but i need help. I have a red ws6. i want the CETA bumper look, based on other threads w/ pics i think im going to go with either the semi-gloss or gloss look. my questions are:

1) what type of paint would i get for the semi-gloss or gloss>
2) i have no experience with painting, and i want the car to look clean as hell and not like a drunk 20 yr old did it . So you think i should take it to a shop?
3) if i did take it to a paint/body shop how much u think they would charge?

thanks yall
Old 09-09-2006, 05:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

just use a dupont glossy black rattle can, will turn out just fine, if you really want to dive into it though i would take off the bumper, go to an automotive paint shop and get a 1/2 pint and some clear coat, wetsand the bumper, mask off the areas not sprayed, spray the bumper, wetsand then clear it. Finish up with some wetsanding to polish the clear and you are done. Body shops charge anywhere from 150 to 300 usually, pricy for something you can do yourself for the cost of a couple rattle cans.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transambandit
just use a dupont glossy black rattle can, will turn out just fine, if you really want to dive into it though i would take off the bumper, go to an automotive paint shop and get a 1/2 pint and some clear coat, wetsand the bumper, mask off the areas not sprayed, spray the bumper, wetsand then clear it. Finish up with some wetsanding to polish the clear and you are done. Body shops charge anywhere from 150 to 300 usually, pricy for something you can do yourself for the cost of a couple rattle cans.
I totally agree. I did mine in my garage with like 2 cans of spray paint and 1 can of primer. I just used gloss paint and no clear. All you gotta do is mask everything off with tape and newspaper then rough up the area to be sanded with sandpaper and start painting. Be sure to do thin layers so it don't run.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Check out this write up thats in the hall of fame sticky here. Itll give you a general idea on what steps to take and what youll need. You dont necessarily have to take the bumper off but it safe gaurds against overspray on the car.

I personally went with semi-gloss. You can see what it looks like in the write up.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

PPG paint, did it in the garage.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

though if you are going to be using real auto paint you will want to take the bumper off the car since the gun wont spray straight up.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did mine and it came out great and im a 19 year old drunk...lol

oh and i used "plastik-koat" i think thats what it was...i dunno but anyways i did it with one can primer, one can gunmetal paint, 360 grit sandpaper...it was like 15 bucks maybe...

BTW, they were gonna charge me 100 bucks at the body shop
Old 09-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by transambandit
though if you are going to be using real auto paint you will want to take the bumper off the car since the gun wont spray straight up.

No need to spray straight up. Jack the car up like I did.