Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Custom Z28 CF doorpanels-fiberglass mold or swap for T/A's

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Custom Z28 CF doorpanels-fiberglass mold or swap for T/A's

First and foremost, for those who think extreme custom cf/fiberglass work on interiors is rice, check out of this thread. It is of no interest to you. This is probably what you call "rice". I don't care that it is. If it makes you feel better to tell me that it is, go right on ahead. Tell me my car is a Camaro and inform me that I am posting on LS1tech as well because I am probably unaware of that as well

Everyone else, here is my predicament. For quite a while now a friend of mine and I have been talking back and forth through e-mails about doing a lot of carbon fiber and fiberglass work on my interior. I am heading down there Monday to drop off my console and various trim and other other plastic pieces to be wrapped. We have everything set in stone besides the door panels. The interior is going to be a mix of silver aluminized fiberglass (what everyone knows as silver carbon fiber), black aluminized fiberglass (identical to carbon fiber besides strength), and black carbon fiber. We know several things about the door panels for sure:

1. They will be two-tone black and silver
2. They will be completely wrapped, no leather/carpet/plastic left
3. Many of the seperating lines of the panel will be molded over, new ones made, etc.

We got to talking about the panels and drew up some rough drafts of the Camaro panels. They are alright, but looked to plain and boxy. He mentioned swapping out for T/A door panels. A good idea, but the panels themselves would be another $100-$300 bucks depending on condition and shipping, then, the shape is much more complex and would require more wrapping work. I can't forget to mention that I am not sure how easy the swap is (post a write up if one is out there please!). Another option he mentioned was doing some custom molding and shaping on the existing Camaro door panel. Of course, this would add a couple hundred dollars to the total, but there is the price of the T/A door panels.

So, I am asking for opinions/ideas/photoshops of some ideas for the door panels. I've asked in some other threads of mine, but I am hoping making a whole thread on this will get more responses.

Here is a pic of the basic Camaro panel. There are no extra molds or anything in this rendition. The black will be CF and the lighter color would be silver aluminized fiberglass.

The second picture is a blank Camaro door panel for you photoshoppers to play with. Change the color scheme, add molded shapes, etc.

The third picture is a rendition of an idea I have for a TA door panel. I do not have photoshop so bear with my infantile paint skills, I know they suck. The black areas will (obviously) be carbon fiber or black fiberglass, the untouched areas will be silver fiberglass. I would like to do something about the giant-ness of the black area, so any ideas to break that up would be great.

This last pic is a blank TA doorpanel for you photoshoppers to play with. Again, change the color scheme or add different moldings, etc to it.

Please, post your opinions/ideas/photoshops. I have been stuck on these door panels forever. I am all ears! It will probably be 3 weeks before the door panels get in to him, possibly longer if he decided he wants to do the dash shell and door panels at the same time. Pics will be posted when the project is complete and credit will be given to whoever gives me the best idea. Thanks guys
Old 09-13-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe have the black areas in CF and the rest in an silver fiberglass and make the buttons and handle silver aluminium
Old 09-13-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the feedback '02TA.
I like the aluminum idea, but I don't know anyone who can make custom aluminum pieces. That is (usually) a much more expensive one off piece than wrapping something in carbon fiber or fiberglass.

I heard some rumors about Chrome and Performance making some aluminum interior pieces. Hey Josh...want a test mule? I'll pay and turn my pictures into harder working ****** than Malaysian middle schoolers

But seriously, I'd love to mix some aluminum parts up in the mix. Ideally, some HVAC/headlight switches, foglight switch, window/lock buttons and door handles, glove box door handle and a center console door "button".
Old 09-13-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

dude, i say go like hell for it. i think that would be totally ******* awesome all the way!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
dude, i say go like hell for it. i think that would be totally ******* awesome all the way!
what he said
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

hell id be highly intrested in doing that myself but catbon fiber is just so expensive and i have no way of making it. however someone did post a link not to long ago of a palce selling 0.2mm carbon fiber plates, ib et you could wrap the door in that
Old 09-13-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Carbon fiber is expensive (price is going down though) but aluminized fiberglass is over half the price looks and it looks EXACTLY the same as carbon fiber The only difference is it's strength.

The guy doing this for me has done fiberglass boat/airplane repair for years. He has moved on to show cars (mostly the import circuit). He has had some of the car's he worked on featured in some magazines as well...I can't remember their names, not BIG name magazines, but in print none the less. He lays the aluminized fibegrlass down, runs it through a vaccuum press or whatever they are called, adds a clear hardener (same stuff they put on wood interior pieces, ultra glossy), lets it cure, then clear coats it, clears again and finally wetsands.

He is trying to get his business up and off the ground and he told me he is more than willing to do this work for anyone on this forum. If you want CF, you must supply the cloth. If it is aluminized fiberglass, he'll supply it. A little example of price, full doorpanels are about $250-$300 a piece for a full fiberglass wrap. Small pieces, like AC vents for example are anywhere from $40-$200 a piece. Just PM me with questions Mods, if I can't post the prices, let me know and I'll remove them. .

Now, back on topic. PHOTOSHOPPERS: turn me on with your skills. OPEN TO ALL OPINIONS!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

BUmmmp
Old 09-14-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

f&*^iN killer ideas SVT... lol. I wish i could see them now, lol. I cant wait til the pics are up.
By the way, its so funny when i had my Kenne Bell modded '03 svt I always looked in it and said, something in here needs to be overhauled... EVERYTHING THAT IS!!! lOL..never got around to it. Good luck with the plans...
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great ideas . . .I too would like to know about the TA door swap if anyone could post a link to a write-up unless it is just a direct swap

Here's what I came up with . . . read u were only doing 2 tone . . . maybe even putting some kind of silver piping going around the section I left un-edited and fill it with black and the silver piping will break it up.

Last edited by StrobinSS; 09-14-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think it would look real good
Old 09-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Teching In

If you look at page 64 in this months DialD magizene All the carbon fiber interior pieces in this WRX is my work.http://www.diald.com/Issues/2006/0806_diald.pdf the name of my company is KRACKER FABRICATION and I can do carbon fiber overlays or custom fiberglass work (anything from speaker pods to full custom fiberglass speaker box and amp rack installs) the speaker box in the trunk and amp rack in the back seat of this car is not mine but i am cappable of this Quality of work. If you have any Qustions please feel free to PM me. Thanks
Old 09-14-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Glad to see you on here Justin, can't wait to get these pieces done. Hopefully when mine is done and I get pics up people will come a flocking.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StrobinSS
Great ideas . . .I too would like to know about the TA door swap if anyone could post a link to a write-up unless it is just a direct swap

Here's what I came up with . . . read u were only doing 2 tone . . . maybe even putting some kind of silver piping going around the section I left un-edited and fill it with black and the silver piping will break it up.
I like this the best....I'd buy it.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Kracker_Fab
If you look at page 64 in this months DialD magizene All the carbon fiber interior pieces in this WRX is my work.http://www.diald.com/Issues/2006/0806_diald.pdf the name of my company is KRACKER FABRICATION and I can do carbon fiber overlays or custom fiberglass work (anything from speaker pods to full custom fiberglass speaker box and amp rack installs) the speaker box in the trunk and amp rack in the back seat of this car is not mine but i am cappable of this Quality of work. If you have any Qustions please feel free to PM me. Thanks

I think we have a new carbon fiber guru on here. Nice to see someone doing a high quality job.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Here is a firehawk door panel that I have done in silver carbon.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Old 09-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracker_Fab
Hmmm... I think it might look good in regular carbon fiber or maybe even red but the silver looks like some type of heat wrap
Old 09-16-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Those are the pics that made me hunt you down Justin! I personally think silver or black cf are the only ways to go-that's why I'm using both! The other color's wouldn't look right in an interior IMO. I'll be sure to ***** out my pics like crazy when they are done.

So now, please, post up ideas for my door panels! That is what this thread is for, we can start another thread for people interested in getting their parts worked on if you all would like. Thanks for the input!
Old 09-16-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

i say try this with your cf ideas