Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick question about hi-temp enamel

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 03:10 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick question about hi-temp enamel

I followed the directions and waited 10-15 minutes between each coat and put 3 coats on the top of my valley cover. It's been a few days and it feels dry, but when I rub my finger across it to feel the texture, some comes off on my finger. That's not normal is it? It's that hi-temp (1200*) spray-on enamel from the auto parts store. Do I need to sand it back down and try again or what? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

I'm just curious as to why you painted a valley cover that sits under a manifold and will never be seen. Not being a smartass, just wondering.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 09-20-2006, 06:33 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I don't really know, just kinda got bored...I'm gonna paint the timing cover and valve covers as well later on.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

My best guess is prep or lack there off. It would be critical on a part like that is have degreased it thoroughly starting with some brake cleaner or something strong like that and then moving on a wax/grease remover for paint prep. Sand to get some "tooth" for the paint to hold onto and then spray.

Bryan
Old 09-20-2006, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

that paint needs to be heat cured at 300* for 3 hours or 400* for 1 1/2 hours otherwise their claims that it is gas and oil resistant are false. I put it on my gas tank on my motorcycle since I had extra from painting the exhaust pipes and after 3 days plus drying I filled it up at a station and the nozzle leaked gas all over the tank. Took the paint right off.
Make sure you heat cure it. The stuff on my exhaust pipes is working great otherwise.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:19 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BeemerZ28
that paint needs to be heat cured at 300* for 3 hours or 400* for 1 1/2 hours otherwise their claims that it is gas and oil resistant are false. I put it on my gas tank on my motorcycle since I had extra from painting the exhaust pipes and after 3 days plus drying I filled it up at a station and the nozzle leaked gas all over the tank. Took the paint right off.
Make sure you heat cure it. The stuff on my exhaust pipes is working great otherwise.
That makes sense. I did clean it a bunch with degreaser before sanding it. Then washed it with soap and water. So, just put it in the oven and it's done?

Okay, another quick question; When should I do this to the timing cover? I don't want to paint it and then the machine shop scratch it when putting the new seal in. Is it possible to not scratch it when they put in the seal? Thanks for the info!