Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

zaino/clay bar opinions/help

Old 09-21-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default zaino/clay bar opinions/help

avalanche&ta
I used a scratch and swirl remover/ wax on the T/A since it's a darker color and the swirls where easliy visable
i didnt want to steal the thread "first claybar / wax attempt" so this is kind of a continuation of that thread but with a ? by me

what do u use, ive thought about tryin zaino for a while but there are so many products and i dont know which ones to pick....its more for show, i rarely drive it but im always lookin at it ....so i want that deep rich look...anything else compair to zaino....i used to use a black color wax by blue coral (made it look like liquid) but its not made anymore so ive been usin this other product that i pick up locally in claremore, i forgot the name (dont have any with me at school) but it gets the job done, it just doesnt last and people keep tellin me zaino is 10x's better.....thats the effect i want, deep, rich, looks wet....so if i got zaino, what products should i get, or is there anything else out there better than zaino?

Last edited by lt1hawk; 09-21-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most important thing is going to be prepping the paint properly - washing, claying, and fully polishing with an abrasive and/or cleaner to remove any scratches, swirls, oxidation, etc.

Once you've done that, the wax/sealant you choose will only give slight differences.

If you're looking at Zaino, you need a minimum of ZFX and Z5 Pro. The rest of their products work very well and "build" on each other, so it's really just up to you and how much you're wanting to spend.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Teching In

I've never used Zaino myself, I'm too cheap. I've seen the results of it however and it's amazing. I used Meguire's products. Meguire's ScratchX (suggested from various members on this forum) and a Meguires protectant wax, I don't recall the exact one.
When I bought my T/A this past July it was rough. I don't think the previous owner even washed it. There were several, no make that, the entire car was nothing but swirls and scratches, some of which where BIG! After washing, clay barring, washing again, then drying I applied the ScratchX as instructed. It worked better than I thought but not show quality. Keep in mind it was in rough shape to start. I did it all by hand, no power buffer. I got a work out and a half. The protectant wax was much eaiser once the ScratchX was applied. The car looks 1000% better, no doubt about it. I spent a total of less than $20 for both the ScratchX and "regular" wax. Comapre that to the price of Zaino and you'll see my point about being cheap.
However, if this car started with show quality and was my dream car, no price would be too much to keep it looking good.

There is a new product coming out very soon, Nano. It's made by Gatorback Coatings. It's expensive but I've heard amazing things about it. Once it starts to come along, (after the trial period) and it does what it claims I'll be sure to post about it. Just to give you an idea, it's a wax/ protectant that will last upwards of 5 years. Simple rinsing or RAIN will actually clean the car! I've seen a video of it during a Florida rain storm and I was amazed. Like I said though, it's still in the trial process.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Here's where I heard about Nano. I'm a member at a few Chevy Avalanche clubs and this is where the story about it is. The video I mentioned is in this thread as well.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com...c,66458.0.html
Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Launching!

I used Zaino for about 3 years and never found that it gave the car any depth. I had every product imaginable from them. It makes black look like you poured a layer of acrylic over it if you ask me.

For depth and wetness there are very good products like Menzerna, Poor Boys (the best bang for the buck if you ask me), ClearKote, Wolfgang, etc.

Try the discussion boards at http://www.detailcity.org/forums/ to get some more info.

The best part about Zaino is its durability. Hardly anything will outlast Zaino if you are looking to minimize your work.

But for me I didn't like the look of Zaino on my Black SS -- still use it on my silver Trailblazer and it looks great. Just don't expect a deep, dripping wet look from Zaino
Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by beaSSt
I used Zaino for about 3 years and never found that it gave the car any depth. I had every product imaginable from them. It makes black look like you poured a layer of acrylic over it if you ask me.

For depth and wetness there are very good products like Menzerna, Poor Boys (the best bang for the buck if you ask me), ClearKote, Wolfgang, etc.

Try the discussion boards at http://www.detailcity.org/forums/ to get some more info.

The best part about Zaino is its durability. Hardly anything will outlast Zaino if you are looking to minimize your work.

But for me I didn't like the look of Zaino on my Black SS -- still use it on my silver Trailblazer and it looks great. Just don't expect a deep, dripping wet look from Zaino
Out of curiousity, was the paint prepped properly (fully polished) when you were using Zaino? Are you observations based on the latest products?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone else agree with beaSSt about zaino and no depth...i dont care about workin on it and re applying wax ect...i enjoy doing it...long story short, my gpa and i were very close, he got stage 3 colon cancer, and left the for me after he passed...thats y i rarely drive it, i pour my heart and soul in trying to maintain it bc i want it for the rest of my life....thats y i show it rather than dd....i like the idea that zaino applies coat over coat for longivety and ive seen it on black cars and it looked great, but i want all the depth i can get...pricy waxes are an option, in this case, cost doesnt matter....what can i use to get the cleanest looking, most depth out of...like i said, reapplying waxes dont bother me, i enjoy it

i mean everything ive seen with zaino had depth, but maybe theres somethin else out there....as of right now im seriousely thinkin zaino...
Old 09-22-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

i was not a believer of zaino until i seen it on a car. i bought the zaino kit and put it on all my cars and it has made them shine like no other wax or polish i have ever used. i would also recommend to get the enhancer.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That is 8 year old paint in florida weather. i get compliments everywhere i go because of the shine zaino gives. I went with the zaino total protection kit. the code is ZKIT-1. comes with everything you need. if your car is black i would highly recomend having it buffed to remove swirls.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lt1hawk
anyone else agree with beaSSt about zaino and no depth.
True depth comes from proper prep work, not from the wax/sealant.

With that said, older versions of Zaino had a more "sterile" appearance, but newer versions do not have that problem. Zaino is certainly not the only choice, but opinions should be based on current products, IMO.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Launching!

I had the paint prepared flawlessly. I am an experienced detailer with all the tools and materials.

The Zaino I used was the older materials and it was the sterile look that you mention. That's why I quit using it.

I switched to Poor Boys / ClearKote about 2 years ago and it produced significantly more depth and "wetness" than the Zaino so I never went back.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

If your car is outside much I'd recomend Zaino. If it's constantly gagraged then durability isn't as much of an issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: zaino/clay bar opinions/help