Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painters inside: airbrushing Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 02:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painters inside: airbrushing Q's

I have a friend that just graduated with a BA is art, and she wants to show off her new talents. I'm thinking about letting her airbrush ghost flames on my red camaro with little skulls and demons hidden in the flames. (no remarks on my idea, I don't car if you guys think it's cheesy)

What kind of paint considerations do I have to worry about? Do I have to strip the clearcoat for her airbrush paint to stick?

Can she paint over my current paint, will it stick?

Do I have to get more clearcoat put on over her airbrush designs for it to work?

I have absolutley no idea what is involved in a job like this. Can you guys tell me the process?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to scuff the paint to get the new stuff to stick
clearing the design will probably provide some extra protection for the design
Check eastwood for their selection of automotive airbrush paints, and a trip to the local bookstore will likely yield a bunch of books with painting help.
You might PM stryker14 he does alot of airbrushing, he might be able to help
Old 09-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
You have to scuff the paint to get the new stuff to stick
clearing the design will probably provide some extra protection for the design
Check eastwood for their selection of automotive airbrush paints, and a trip to the local bookstore will likely yield a bunch of books with painting help.
You might PM stryker14 he does alot of airbrushing, he might be able to help
If I scuff my current finish, will that make it dull looking? SInce I'm getting flames, I don't want the stock red paint to be really dull next to the new airbrushed graphics.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

If the clear is in good condition and you are just wanting the artwork done without any minor body work all you need to do is wetsand each panel that artwork will be going on with 600-800 grit. This will make the finish look dull but it is necessary if you are wanting the new paint to stick. Once all airbrushing is done you will have to reclear the panels. There is no UV protection in your normal basecoats therefore you have to clear it if you want it to last for any length of time. Dont worry about wetsanding the panels, it will look dull but not only are you removing surface imperfections you are also removing excess orange peel from the factory. Once the clear goes down on the sanded panel it will look like brand new.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stryker14
If the clear is in good condition and you are just wanting the artwork done without any minor body work all you need to do is wetsand each panel that artwork will be going on with 600-800 grit. This will make the finish look dull but it is necessary if you are wanting the new paint to stick. Once all airbrushing is done you will have to reclear the panels. There is no UV protection in your normal basecoats therefore you have to clear it if you want it to last for any length of time. Dont worry about wetsanding the panels, it will look dull but not only are you removing surface imperfections you are also removing excess orange peel from the factory. Once the clear goes down on the sanded panel it will look like brand new.
Thanks alot.

Can I airbrush the graphics at home, and then drive to a paint shop to get the clear done? Is that too risky?

Anyone got an estimate on how much it would cost for a paintshop to re-clear a few panels?

I'm thinking front bumper cover, hood, and both front fenders.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LT Malice
Thanks alot.

Can I airbrush the graphics at home, and then drive to a paint shop to get the clear done? Is that too risky?

Anyone got an estimate on how much it would cost for a paintshop to re-clear a few panels?

I'm thinking front bumper cover, hood, and both front fenders.
Yeah you can drive to the paintshop, however I wouldnt recommend it though if you airbrush with the brand Auto Colors since it is a water based paint. Just make sure its a urethane paint and you wont have any problems.

Call the shops around your area and they should be able to get you some quotes. It shouldnt be that much considering it is already prepped except for masking it off and wiping it down real quick before they start spraying.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

you CAN do it on top of the clear coat...however it wont last very long and yes it will look dull. I would recomend sanding and clearing...i know its a pretty penny, but im sure its worth the change. the quality will be way better.
i havt read any of the posts on here but...id litsten to whatever stryker has to say he has been doing this WAAAAAAY longer and more professionally then i
I painted flames on a friends honda, over the clear and i think he said it was still on there today and that was a few months ago...but the quality isnt all that great!
if it helps...heres a pic...as you can see its realy dull..
Old 10-01-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

600? i wont go any lower than 800 to wet sand with. thats the only thing that i would change, oh and i would use a solvent based paint, not a water based.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Teching In

lookin to autoair colors this stuff is water based and designed for airbrushing
you can even put it on your car to see if your going to like it then wash it off then scuff the clear with 800 lay down what you want then clear over it.
a big plus with this stuff is it comes in small bottles that hook right up to most airbrushes unless you have a top loaded airbrush also it covers great but when it drys it is over twice as thin as a basecoat(great for graphics so you dont see the lines or dont have to dump on the clear and then wet sans and buff), and if you are doing a real high detail job you can do part of it walk away for a month and come back and clear over it unlike base coat you only have a small window of time to get it to stick the way it should. You can scuff basecoat to shoot it with clear later but when air brushing you will scuff off over half your art work since it is so thin already. keep us posted sound like my kind of paint job
and good luck
Old 10-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Teching In

hey 14 and ws6 are you guys using the true fire kits
both of your cars look alsome i got a true fire kit but havent had a lot of time with it
are you guys using candys on those at all?

also just read more on this post
if you plan to drive that thing to a shop i would be careful with what ever system you go with base coat is durable but being fresh and driving with out a clear coat it will be alot easier to chip or scratch
auto air will come off if water gets on it