Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Paint Question: Bright Red w/ Pearl

Old 10-04-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint Question: Bright Red w/ Pearl

Ok...I want to re-paint my '92 WS6 Convertible. All my cars are bright red.

I want to keep it a bright red (like my '02), but I want the paint to "glissen" in the sunlight. Much like the SOM cars have some flair in the sunlight.

Here's the thing.....EVERY car that I've seen that's bright red is just straight red. This includes other makes, high-end cars, hot rods, etc. I don't want to do a Kandy color because of how I want to paint the car and being able to easily fix it.

Am I asking for something that's just impossible to do? Because nobody seems to do it.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

You could do a Ruby Red Mettalic color with pearl in it. The only thing is it won't look like you want it to. Metallic and red just doesn't really do anything. It will glisten but I think you want it to almost look like a different color right? Usually only darker colors will do this and acheive the effect you want. It would still look incredible though. Good Luck
Old 10-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Yeah most of the red ive seen, or tried playing around with myself, ends up looking like lipstick, or pink. However for gold pearl over red, makes a sweet looking copper/burnt orange color.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
You could do a Ruby Red Mettalic color with pearl in it. The only thing is it won't look like you want it to. Metallic and red just doesn't really do anything. It will glisten but I think you want it to almost look like a different color right? Usually only darker colors will do this and acheive the effect you want. It would still look incredible though. Good Luck

Well.....I do want it to look like the same color. I want it to be bright red, not a darker or maroon red.

I could use metalic....but I'm not sure that's the look I'm going for either. I don't want it to look like a low-rider car (no offense).

Thanks for the input and I'm still searching....so if anyone else has some insight.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

a candy is the only thing i can think of, but those are a bitch to paint and are expensive.

FYI, SOM stands for Sunset Orange Metallic, ie it has some metallic in the paint to make it pop
Old 10-05-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 12thstreetjunkman
Yeah most of the red ive seen, or tried playing around with myself, ends up looking like lipstick, or pink. However for gold pearl over red, makes a sweet looking copper/burnt orange color.
See....that's what I'm talking about. I'm not sure if a bright red w/ pearl can be done because it ends up more like a pink color. I'm sure there has got to be a way though.

Gold and red go well together and makes some amazing colors (like candy red over gold base). But again....that's just not the color I'm looking for.

Maybe I just have to bight the bullet and make a pact with the devil to get my impossible color?
Old 10-05-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've wasted alot of paint messing around trying to get red to pop..IMO, it is tough to just make something in red stand out. A good factory color is a Mazda Redfire Metallic. Swing buy a Mazda dealer & see if you can find a 6 painted that color.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

one other thing u might want to look at is cayenne red metallic. its still a red, but has some orangish in it or something and has a bit more pop
Old 10-06-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

Another thing you could consider - my dad used to be a painter and had a really fine power (much smaller than the flakes in metallics) he called "moon dust" that he could blow into paint to make certain sections sparkle (he used it for flame jobs and to highlight specific details mostly). I'm not certain of what it is exactly, but I'm sure paint supply shops would have an idea. They would also probably be your best resource for achieving the look you're after.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Teching In

id suggest sumtin like gettin ur car painted with the chevy bright red then goin over with a silver or white metal flake to make it shimmer i know my friends wrx looks black all day long but at night u can see gold flake in the paint that makes it look gorgeous

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Question: Bright Red w/ Pearl