Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

question about vinyl decals

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about vinyl decals

I put some vinyl decals on my car, the front plate and the rear panel, a few months ago but now they are peeling off. I am also looking to put on my ram air ones and the birds on the sides and i know that i could probably get them clear coated proffessionaly but i don't want to spend the money on that. Anyone clear coated these on themselves? Or know anything else that would keep them on and looking good. I not really worried about the front plate I dont think it would stand out if I just clear coated that but the rear panel, hood, and sides it what i am worried about doing my self. Any suggestions?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Launching!

bump.... no one? did everybody get them professionally clear coated? If so how much did it cost?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They just need good prep. I got mine from Brent Franker and they lasted forever until I took them off, even then they gave me hell to peel off! I had the side birds on for a year and they were hard to come off I had to start the peeling with my fingernail cuz there was no other way, My rear fil ins are still in with no problems and I also have some on the headrests to my seats still without any problems. Thwse were all purchased at the same time so its been more than two years. Just make sure you wipe the area real good with alcohol to clean it then press the decal on with something like a credit card. Thats exactly how I did mine and through car washes and waxing and everything else they still look good! Hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had problems with franker's "delicate" vinyls. the front birl insert has peels at every corner (2nd one that's done it) and the rear filler letters are peeling out from all the washing and detailing i do. i know i prepped the surface good and i allowed them to sit for weeks, and they still peeled up after the first wash. i'm thinking about getting new fillers, but maybe not vinyls this time. clearcoating them in would be a good idea, if you want permanent results.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Launching!

thanks i will check them out. Anyone ever tried to clear coat the decals themselves?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not so sure clear coating vinyl decals is a good idea. Reason being if you paint vinyl paint then clear the top as the clear dries the vinly paint underneath stretches, shrinks, bubbles, and cracks. Granted decals are a diffrent breed but still your putting the same stresses of the clear drying on the vinyl.

Quick Reply: question about vinyl decals