Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sequential Tail Lights!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sequential Tail Lights!!!

I saw you can buy the expensive kit, or on ebay they sell the instructions to build your own, but does anyone have instructions on "how to" make the sequential tail light mod or a link to a website that does? Anyone do this to there car or buy the instructions off ebay?? I want to do this soon, I think it looks awesome!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on an ls1 you'd have to make larger holes in the taillights to accomodate this modification.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TruDualed95Z
on an ls1 you'd have to make larger holes in the taillights to accomodate this modification.
I've never heard of that. All the ones I've ever seen just required some welding and installing. Any link to this kit?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

IMO- Youre better off just buying a kit.

I've had my unit for 3 years with no problems. Bought it from Tbone, a well respected member over at Fbody.com.

You dont have to make the holes larger on LS1 birds to accomodate this kit. You simply buy a brighter bulb for the outer most light. Otherwise, the 3rd light is really dim in the daylight hours. Kinda kills the sequence.

Last edited by LawmanSS; 10-12-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

I had these on my 94 camaro way back when. Always loved them
Old 10-11-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check this out and let me know what you guys think!
ebay SEQUENTIAL-TURN-SIGNAL-TAILLIGHTS-DIY-PLANS-EASY-LQQK

Last edited by VSGLS1; 10-16-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:53 AM
TECH Addict

You dont have to make the holes larger on LS1 birds to accomodate this kit. You simply buy a brighter bulb for the outer most light. Otherwise, the 3rd light is really dim in the daylight hours. Kinda kills the sequence
I really don't know how you accomplished this???? In the 98+ T/A's there are only (2) bulbs in each tailight that can actually flash. The outermost bulb is an entirely different bulb of a much smaller size that is NOT a flasher bulb.

And as far as welding goes - never heard of that either?

My kit was from Blink-Blink and has worked perfectly for 3 years now. You can do the install using only the (2) current flasher bulbs in each tailight - but the effect with (3) bulbs is much more pronounced. If you buy the kit made for (3) lights it will include a new different style socket for both sides and the appropriate bulbs. These are exactly as the other (2) flasher bulb setups that are already present from the factory. You will need to remove the outer socket/bulb, enlarge the socket mounting hole in the back of each tailight with a dremel to accept the new larger style socket.

Oh, and you will also have to go with a Digital Flasher Module (can be found at any parts store) in place of your old Thermal Flasher (located under dash on DS right beside console). Thermal flashers rely on resistance/load of total amount of bulbs in the circuit to heat up a bi-metalic strip inside which makes/breaks the contact - hence the flashing. When you add the 3rd flashing bulb on each side to the sequence, your tailight sequencing will be much faster due to the higher load (strip heats up faster and breaks contact sooner), and the outer bulb will barely light before the circuit is broken.

So, as someone that has tried it first with only the stock (2) flasher bulbs - I would definitely recommend that you go with the (3) bulb mod and install the Digital Flasher Module - you won't be sorry - (3) bulbs flashing across and at the corect speed is what you want...

-Jay-
Old 10-12-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone make there own with the instructions off of ebay???
Old 10-12-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
I really don't know how you accomplished this???? In the 98+ T/A's there are only (2) bulbs in each tailight that can actually flash. The outermost bulb is an entirely different bulb of a much smaller size that is NOT a flasher bulb.
Never knew that... Maybe something to do with the module?

Anyhow, i dug up the instructions from the kit and it says, "If you did not replace the small bulb with a 921 bulb, the outside bulb will appear dim during the day." Thats what i did, and i have a 3 light sequence. Even when the brakes are applied the sequence carries on.

If you want, ill shoot some pictures of the backside of my taillights. I'd even make ya a movie if i knew how.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

that sucks they dont make it for 98-02 camaros
Old 10-12-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Brent Franker has a write-up for this on his website.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

It's simple. You take out the small bulb, and replace it with a bigger bulb. These are the two bulbs, side by side, for comparison. Trust me, it works, and will last forever. I helped Tbone during the design phase of his unit, and it was I that tried the bigger bulb and it works much better. That is why it is being suggested now....
It is also true that you need the electronic flasher instead of the thermal. It's about $7 at Autozone.
You are much better off buying one from Tbone.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default question about tail light mod

Hello! I just had a question in reguards to the thread I started. What exactely comes in the kit from t-bone? Will the newer brighter bulbs fit in the oem sockets on the tail lights of a 95 formula? that other piece i mentined instead of the thermal... do u buy one to control both sides and where do u install that? Do you have to rip into your dash for anything or is it all through the trunk?? thanks!!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

i did some reading up on them.. i saw the thundercat one on ebay.. it INCLUDED the new universal sockets to fit larger bulbs, 2 new bulbs, new electronic flasher, unit, and instructions all for 80.00! Seems like a good deal to me.. anyone agree?
Old 10-13-2006, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Hmmmmmmmm......that is a good deal.
Where is the armpit of Ohio?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

a-k-rowdy, crackron, or Akron as everyone likes to refer to it as. Ohh yeah that deal is on Ebay and the system is put out by thundercat I believe it is.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Well, if you consider that the armpit, then Ashtabula County (where I was born and spent half my life) must be a deep, smelly, hair follicle. Wait a minute......that actually is quite accurate.

Quick Reply: Sequential Tail Lights!!!