Old 10-22-2006, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Shift Light Install Writeup

Required Parts:

Harlan Shift Light
Firebird gauge cluster front cover with dividers
JB Quick or JB Weld
18 gauge electrical wire in 3 colors. (Preferably Red, Black, and Green)
15/16 paddle bit
5/8 drill bit
7/32 drill bit
18 gauge wire butt connectors
18 gauge wire tap

1. First start by disassembling your Harlan Shift light. Pull the LED cluster and the RPM module out of the Plastic tubing.
2. Cut the two wires that connect the LED cluster to the RPM module leaving close to equal lengths on each end.
3. Place a dab of grease on the tips of each of the 6 LEDs
4. Gently press the LEDs against the back of the Firebird gauge cluster in the middle between the spedo and tach places. (this marks where you need to drill the holes for the LEDs to come through).
5. Take your 7/32 drill bit and carefully drill through each grease dot being careful not to touch the clear plastic with the drill bit when you drill through the divider.
6. Now press your LEDs through the holes you drilled and JB Quick the LED cluster to the gauge cover. Now is a good time to connect about 2 feet of wire to the ends coming out of the LED cluster.
7. Now take your gauge cluster and disassemble it. (you do this by prying the clear plastic piece apart from the white plastic backing. This leaves your needles on the face) Please see pictures if you do not understand what I am talking about.
8. Drill a 15/16 hole in the gauge panel

9. Now take the white plactic backing and carefully drill a 5/8 hole for your wires to go through. (Make sure to be careful and stop drilling before you hit the circut board)

10. Now reassemble your gauge cluster running the wires through the holes you just drilled, and test fit the front cover making sure the LED cluster fits through the hole in the gauge panel. If it doesn't fit you will need to disassemble and wollow out the hole until it does fit.
11. Run the LED wires through the hole in the dash that is behind the gauge cluster and run them to where ever you placing your RPM module.( I chose the left air vent).
12. Reinstall your gauge cluster and connect the LED wires to the RPM module.
13. Wire up the RPM module according to Harlan's instructions.

If you have any questions PM me and I will help you the best I can. I will also be willing to do the installs for you. PM me for pricing.

Last edited by supersix; 10-22-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

ummmmmm why the hell is your speedo needle and oil temp needles switched?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

hahaha that was my template....i just threw needles back on there....my friend asked me the same thing. That cluster doesn't even work
Old 10-22-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pm sent to you. thanks
Old 12-16-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supersix
Required Parts:

If you have any questions PM me and I will help you the best I can. I will also be willing to do the installs for you. PM me for pricing.
I am sorry. TTT for the funny *** picture of the tach and oil sensor. I laughed for about 15 minutes. Great write up. Should be a sticky!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Shift Light Install Writeup