Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Paint job of the same color?

Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint job of the same color?

How much (generally) will it cost to have a car repainted or whatever the same color that it is. My Z is black and is has over 120k on the paint and has lots of small stuff i want fixed as well as the bumpers are both spider cracked.

So how much would most places charge to do this? Now i know they are generally considerred a no-no but how bad could maaco really be for something as simple as this?
Old 10-26-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fibbado
How much (generally) will it cost to have a car repainted or whatever the same color that it is. My Z is black and is has over 120k on the paint and has lots of small stuff i want fixed as well as the bumpers are both spider cracked.

So how much would most places charge to do this? Now i know they are generally considerred a no-no but how bad could maaco really be for something as simple as this?
I had maaco repaint my front end for $230 on my previous firebird because of massive paint chips. Came with a full warranty and everything. They did a good job from what I could tell but I sold the car less than a month later.

If I were to do it again I would just dig up the extra cash for a good paint job that way I wouldn't have to worry about it years to come
Old 10-26-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

A couple of months back I was also considering getting a new paint job. I scrapped the idea because I could get my paint to glow again with a good full detail. I do have to repaint my front bumper, hood and ss spoiler because the paint is slightly off in color and there are a good amount of chips on the hood and bumper.

I'd look into getting my car detailed and only certain parts getting repainted.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone else?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was wondering also how much it would be to just paint the actual outside of the car (not door jams, under hood, etc.) has anyone had this done?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by coldkillinTA
i was wondering also how much it would be to just paint the actual outside of the car (not door jams, under hood, etc.) has anyone had this done?
It all depends on what kind of color the car is, what kind of paint is being used and also how many coats of paint are going to be applied. Do you know what your paint code is? Paint and clear coat for a whole car usually ranges from $250- $300 obviously not including labor cost.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maxstang
It all depends on what kind of color the car is, what kind of paint is being used and also how many coats of paint are going to be applied. Do you know what your paint code is? Paint and clear coat for a whole car usually ranges from $250- $300 obviously not including labor cost.
idk what my paint code is but my car is the original black..
Old 10-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by coldkillinTA
idk what my paint code is but my car is the original black..
Black is pretty much the cheapest color you can get. If it is a special kind of black that requires different colors, pearl, or flakes added to it then it might be more expensive. When I painted my car I bought all the paint and painted it myself in my autobody class saving a butt load of money. Anyways plain black paint cost me $12 all toghether for the top vs. the $100 for the lazer red paint.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Good stuff.. still holding out for someone that has done this exact thing or maybe has some good review about this type of job done by maaco.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got a quote for a complete repaint recently and was told it would be around $3000.

Josh
Old 10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front bumper takes hella rock and bug abuse, rear bumper takes airflow beating on the top shelf. These two things pop off easy, and (I would bet) are the worse things on your car. Places will usually do them for $250-400 bones each, probably cheaper doing both.

Everything else will probably detail fairly well.

I would advise to consider this carefully, because getting a new paint job is such a hassle. I can support doing the front bumper because it gets so destroyed, but most everything else is probably reasonable enough or would still clean up well with a full polish job.

If the car is a daily driver it just sucks ***** to drop 2-3k on a paint job and walk out the next day to another door ding or batch of stone chips pop up. So I always say that the paint had better be really, really bad before you start toying with paying for a new whole car job.

I've had front bumpers painted on both of my 4th gens... everything else I just live with. Daily driving is too hard on the paint and people run into my car sooner or later.

My 94 was hit 4 times while parked. By the time I sold that car the roof was the only thing someone else hadn't paid to paint.

I don't know your experience level but you might be suprised with what some very careful chip fixing followed by a full buff job can do. Especially on a black car which is a swirl magnet. Tons of info about chip fixing and polishing (porter cable faq) can be found here.

Originally Posted by Fibbado

Old 10-31-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was quoted 4600 from a reputable body shop for a complete repaint...but did it for less than 500 at school...
Old 11-01-2006, 12:54 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

My buddy got his T/A painted (the WHOLE body and even under hood) for 1Grand. But he also had connections.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

todddchi you are right on... my front bumpers paint is shredded.. the rear bumper is spider cracked.. the rest of the car is fair.. no real dents or dings... though the hood has some... i was thinking either paint the whole car... or just buy a harwood cowl hood... an ss spoiler and have those painted along with having the front and rear bumpers repainted and just doing the R & R myself.

If the bumpers are spider cracked does that make the job more difficult or expensive?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint job of the same color?