Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cheap repaint - should I?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Cheap repaint - should I?

Ok so two good friends of mine know this guy that works at a local body shop (one of the friends works with him) he is in a major hurt for cash and is painting both of their trucks ridiculously cheap talking paint and body work for a couple hundred bucks.

My paint is not exactly perfect in any way (I could def. live with it but we all like it to be perfect) for a couple hundred bones I could get it all repainted pretty much any color I want.

Heres my only concern though if I repaint it I would like to go with a diff. color either Viper Steel Gray or a slightly darker Gunmetal color like the stangs. (Sorry I love the color) but the engine compartment would still be black, do you think it would look totally horrible or not too bad?

The other thing is I've never seen this color on a firebird only camaros, anyone got any pics of what it would look like on a Formula or Trans am?

Thanks for the input guys
Old 11-21-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

You will get what you pay for....I will say no more...
Old 11-21-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chaman
You will get what you pay for....I will say no more...
Trust me I've though of that, but he said the guys got over 20 years experience. of course I will wait to see how their trucks turn out but the guy works for a reputable body shop and does all the work there.

I'll def. have to think about it but I would still like some more opinions
Old 11-21-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luna
Trust me I've though of that, but he said the guys got over 20 years experience. of course I will wait to see how their trucks turn out but the guy works for a reputable body shop and does all the work there.

I'll def. have to think about it but I would still like some more opinions
Thats what I was going to say, check out the trucks and make sure its going to be a quality job. If so, Id say go for it. A dark silver would look pretty sweet imo.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah definitly check out the other trucks and if there good than do it. Yeah I love that mustang color that your talking about to. That would look sweet.

-Cld069- your colts are 9-1 thanks to my boys. Go cowboys! lol
Old 11-21-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds to good to be true, 200 bucs? thats crazy. u goin to tear the car down and paint the jams?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

If you're buddies trucks look good then do it. Nice color choices too
Old 11-21-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by redramair98
sounds to good to be true, 200 bucs? thats crazy. u goin to tear the car down and paint the jams?
more like 4 or 500 but for someone that knows what they're doing and good quality paint / painter its fantastic. I was thinking about just having him repaint my front bumper, rear quarter and a new hood. but after my friend said he was getting his entire bronco repainted including body work removing rust and two tone paint for 400 bucks I did this . Then I thought about how much I like gunmetal.....

The jams, i would like to, but the more I think about it the more I think its probably not worth the time
Old 11-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Your lucky you have a black car, for once. A black engine bay will look great on anycar, and the door jams are no big deal right now, you can always do those later, but I wouldn't mess with em, again, a black door jam's no big deal, vs something like a red door jam and a grey car haha..
Old 11-21-2006, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

You absolutly get what you pay for when it comes to autobody work. And if the guy is currently making $16-20 an hour, I'm sure he's not going to do his best work for $200. Is he going to wet sand and buff the car after? If you don't have the jambs painted it's probrably going to bother the hell out of you after and, it's so much easier to do them when the whole car is sprayed.

Beware your paint cost will probrably be in excess of atleast $400 depending on whose products he uses. And that's asuming that he's going to swipe the reducers, activators, and other materials he needs from the shop he works at.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

To do the jambs would I have to gut the interior to keep the overspray out or how do they typically do that ?

I'm thinking the Ford Gunmetal color and I'll throw a WS6 hood on it at the same time and have him paint black stripes on the nostrils all the way back.

I think that would look pretty

Right now I am really just trying to honestly think about it , I haven't even talked to the guy yet. I may talk to him and decide hes a shady MF'er I won't have my car painted (or even anywhere near) some shady painter.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luna
To do the jambs would I have to gut the interior to keep the overspray out or how do they typically do that ?

I'm thinking the Ford Gunmetal color and I'll throw a WS6 hood on it at the same time and have him paint black stripes on the nostrils all the way back.

I think that would look pretty

Right now I am really just trying to honestly think about it , I haven't even talked to the guy yet. I may talk to him and decide hes a shady MF'er I won't have my car painted (or even anywhere near) some shady painter.
Nah, he'd probrably just pull the door seals and sill plates and then tape and paper the whole door opening to keep the overspray out of the interior. More than likely he'd pull the door panels which takes 5 minutes a peice.

I like Ford's Gunmetal color too. I think it would look nice. But honestly, there is nothing more embarassing than half assed bodywork so be very leary of the guy. For example, I bought my Silverado used and sombody had done a spot repair on the door. It's a dark charcoal metallic and 99% of people would never notice the repair, but it makes me cringe almost everyday cause the flake on the repair doesn't flip with the factory paint. I'm going to have to blend the the whole door and cab in the spring.

But on the flip side, I know a few hobbiest in this area that can put show cars out of there home garages and driveways. Hopefully in a few more years I can be at that point.

Last edited by GM Muscle; 11-21-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got some pics for you. I went thru many ideas before I decided on color. Don't skimp on a paint job.....mine was a temporary one and it all has to come off now. It took one full week to sand down the original paint <---perfect for a foundation for a GOOD new paint job. Well, my poor repaint sucked and all that paint applied has to come off. ITS A REAL PITA. I've spent well over a month working on it hardcore and is not even half ready for a SHOW QUALITY paint job. I have no time to work on it now...so I drive it around looking like a rolling junkyard. Bout summer time it might be ready.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

400 bones for a full paint job.....hmmm. Everybody pretty much sumed it up already. You get what you pay for 99% of the time. Who knows you might get lucky and get a job that looks like 600 bucks. In all seriousness though if the guy is in a hurt for cash and $400 will cover the cost of paint (gunmetal metallic being pretty costly) all supplies as well as labor you know he will be shorting you somewhere and I have a pretty good idea it will be on the labor end. Good paint jobs take time, and time costs money. Your best bet is to prep the car yourself and get it ready for paint. When you get it to the point where it is ready to spray and you dont have to worry about the substrate on which the new paint is laying on then you can let him do his thing which is probably gonna consist of stealing some paint from his job to get that quick extra cash that he needs and then have him spray it.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Just to get an idea what would something like this cost at a typical reputable body shop done right??
Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just did a coler change on my 94, and put the 02 front clip on it, i have easy 600 in materials, and upwards of 100 hours in labor considering i did it right from start to finish including pulling the hatch, wing, doors, hood, fenders, groudn efects, basicaly any part cept the quarters are taken off the car to do the job right, prepping all the parts right, wet sanding and buffing the entire car. job is easily worth 5 grand. someone tell me how to post pics on here?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was going to say the same thing, that price barely covers supplys. Is he stealing the paint from the shop and pocketing everything he makes?

If he does body work all day long and still has the energy to do large side jobs like that then hes doing some good drugs and I wouldnt want him touching my car.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

agreed on the drug statement, i am one of the only sober bodymen i know, and trust me u get tired of doing it all day long them coming home and doing it again, pretty much from doing that im starting to get burned out
Old 11-22-2006, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't do it, its been summed up in the thread, even if he did it for double what you're saying ($1000), for a good color change? No way. A decent same color job is about $2200 (start to finish), add a color change to that and your well well over 5x the cost you mentioned. If you are ok with your paint now, I'd wait, because you'll hate it if the job sucks.

Quick Reply: Cheap repaint - should I?