Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cleaning LT1 Engine bay.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cleaning LT1 Engine bay.

Before I get flamed about using the search and all about this I did, and yet I am still confused. I am wanting to dress up the engine bay some and I worried about frying the opti. My father and I did this once before and the car caughed and sputtered for the rest of the day after we hosed it off.

The opti has been replaced since then. However, it seems that most people say that if I cover the opti and computer stuff I will be fine. So my question is, if I take a plastic bag and cover the computer stuff as well as the opti and avoid direct spray, should I be ok? I would rather do that over the rag and simple green method, simply because that would take alot more work.

Here is a pic of the engine bay that I took earlier today.

I was thinking about spray painting that fuel line cover with the flat black that I painted the intake shield with. That and possibly pulling the hood stuff off. It looks like poo.

Also, is spraying amorall (spelling) all over the engine bay bad for it?
I just really want to get the engine bay looking alot better.

Thanks for the help. I really think there should be a page for cleaning LT1 bays like there is for LS motors...

-bryan
Old 11-23-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spray ArmorAll on my engine while it's running and hit it with my air hose. Looks SEXY afterwards. Nice and shinny. I'm **** about how clean my car is. drives me NUTS when the car is dirty. This next summer my car won't be my DD so she will be more clean then this last summer.~Cole~
Old 11-23-2006, 02:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm...idk..i just take half the day with some engine degreaser and an assortment of brushes and clean the best i can...turns out pretty well..
Old 11-23-2006, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmccrary
Before I get flamed about using the search and all about this I did, and yet I am still confused. I am wanting to dress up the engine bay some and I worried about frying the opti. My father and I did this once before and the car caughed and sputtered for the rest of the day after we hosed it off.

The opti has been replaced since then. However, it seems that most people say that if I cover the opti and computer stuff I will be fine. So my question is, if I take a plastic bag and cover the computer stuff as well as the opti and avoid direct spray, should I be ok? I would rather do that over the rag and simple green method, simply because that would take alot more work.

Here is a pic of the engine bay that I took earlier today.

I was thinking about spray painting that fuel line cover with the flat black that I painted the intake shield with. That and possibly pulling the hood stuff off. It looks like poo.

Also, is spraying amorall (spelling) all over the engine bay bad for it?
I just really want to get the engine bay looking alot better.

Thanks for the help. I really think there should be a page for cleaning LT1 bays like there is for LS motors...

-bryan

ive heard the same thing and im still skeered, thats why mine looks as revolting as it does...
Old 11-23-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BLK_Z28
Hmm...idk..i just take half the day with some engine degreaser and an assortment of brushes and clean the best i can...turns out pretty well..
+1 , hard work but you get results.I'm a clean freak when it comes to engine bays , I cant stand dirt/dust/grease , etc. I usually clean my motor by hand at least once a week , I dont really like the idea of popping my hood and hosing it down under there , I know it can be done without hurting anything but I'll just stick with my toothbrushes and degreasers
Old 11-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Do it by hand or don't do it at all..
Old 11-23-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am leaning towards doing it by hand, just because I can't afford to replaced an opti again!

So simple green, and some small brushes... any other cleaners?

-bryan
Old 11-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bmccrary
I am leaning towards doing it by hand, just because I can't afford to replaced an opti again!

So simple green, and some small brushes... any other cleaners?

-bryan
Can of engine degreaser..
Old 11-27-2006, 03:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can easily power wash your engine. I've done it several times and so has my buddy. Just don't spray the opti directly for a really long time. People are so pissy about the opti, its not that fragile.

Quick Reply: Cleaning LT1 Engine bay.