Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

best product to remove swirls without a buffer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Restricted User - Non Spon Soliciting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best product to remove swirls without a buffer?

what are some really good products I can use just by hand to get swirls out of my black paint. What process should I use in using these products? thanks
Old 12-02-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a PC some pads, and some Menzerna IP &FP your arms will forever thank you
Otherwise you'll wear yourself out trying to hand buff swirls out
Old 12-02-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by *KANDY SS*
what are some really good products I can use just by hand to get swirls out of my black paint. What process should I use in using these products? thanks
Two things I have had the most success with by hand are Meguiar's ScratchX, and Meguiar's ColorX.

that said .. you are fighting an uphill battle.. if you are going to do it yourself, invest in a PC, and the proper pads and products to do it correctly.

check out this thread on using ScratchX

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/519206-how-get-rid-swirls.html
Old 12-02-2006, 03:49 PM
317indy

Meguiars #2 Swirl Remover...
Old 12-02-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Keep in mind that "swirl removers" are actually swirl fillers. The swirls are still there, just hidden.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by f50nut
Keep in mind that "swirl removers" are actually swirl fillers. The swirls are still there, just hidden.
not always true. some products do have a lot of filler in them, and some have very little to no filler in them.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:22 PM
317indy

Since he is doing it by hand, I dont think it would matter...You're not going to get swirls out by hand. However if you really want to know the process of going about getting swirls out...

G/C Wash x2
Clay Magic
G/C Wash
#83 x 2 rotary burgandy pad
#80 via rotary polishing pad
# 9 via PC Polishing Pad
G/C Wax x 2 via PC one and By Hand the other
Old 12-03-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 317indy
G/C Wash x2
Clay Magic
G/C Wash
#83 x 2 rotary burgandy pad
#80 via rotary polishing pad
# 9 via PC Polishing Pad
G/C Wax x 2 via PC one and By Hand the other
must be going after some pretty agressive swirls with that process..

good process, just pretty agressive, and could be overkill in a lot of instances.

and you can remove some minor swirling by hand .. it just takes a LOT of work ..
Old 12-03-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are incorrect my friend. Meguiar's swirl removers remove the swirls and don't fill them in.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...threadid=14848
Old 12-03-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

get some scratch x, get plenty of rest and give it hell. if i remeber correctly you use a "cross hatch" pattern. apply firmly in a x patern, then an up and down pattern. ur seriously gonna kick ur own *** doing it by hand but the outcome is very rewarding. good luck man. o yeah, wash the car first, then use a clay bar, then the scratch x, then apply a finisher like nxt wax, or #26 or gold class. or whatever u like. good luck! post up some b4 and after pics
Old 12-03-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the best product would be the local detailer that will do a polish job for you. Don't take it wrong, but if you are staring at a car full of swirl marks, and can't afford/justify the idea of dropping a few hundred bucks on a PC + supplies... the next best step is to pay someone who has the stuff to do it.

Otherwise you're gonna spend half the detailing charge, get poorer results, and use up a whole bunch of your time and energy.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:32 PM
317indy

Originally Posted by Gipraw
must be going after some pretty agressive swirls with that process..

good process, just pretty agressive, and could be overkill in a lot of instances.

and you can remove some minor swirling by hand .. it just takes a LOT of work ..

Most people dont know how to detail their cars. Thats the usual process to get rid of marring, swirls, ect...
Old 12-03-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most people dont know how to detail their cars. Thats the usual process to get rid of marring, swirls, ect...

are you saying I don't know what I am doing because I am saying that is an aggressive approach?
Old 12-03-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Kman
You are incorrect my friend. Meguiar's swirl removers remove the swirls and don't fill them in.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...threadid=14848
Well right, some don't..it's all about using the right product
Old 12-03-2006, 11:03 PM
317indy

Originally Posted by Gipraw
are you saying I don't know what I am doing because I am saying that is an aggressive approach?
im saying i used to do this for a living, and every single car that I detailed, the owners of the car didnt know how to properly take care of their cars paint. so this was the usual process for me to do to a customers car.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

im saying i used to do this for a living, and every single car that I detailed, the owners of the car didnt know how to properly take care of their cars paint. so this was the usual process for me to do to a customers car.
ok, makes sense ..

I am saying that while the steps in your process are correct, the machine you are using and the products you have listed are pretty aggressive, and more times than not, would be way more than most people would need to be using.

All swirls are not the same, and they don't all need to be hit with a sledge hammer. Just because a rotary and #83 will fix it, that doesn't mean it is the best solution.

You always want to fix the defects with the least agressive method possible, for the long term health of the paint, and the process you stated is far from being the least agressive.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Im gonna have to try this once the winter is over. Because i DD mine and its raining season here in NorCal.

Quick Reply: best product to remove swirls without a buffer?