Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

claybar + meguires 3 step

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default claybar + meguires 3 step

should i claybar before or after the meguires 3 step?
yeah i know its late in the season to do this but im off work all week and need something to do to keep my sanity
Old 12-03-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Before. Always clay before you wax, or the claybar will remove it.

-Mike
Old 12-03-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok...and also claybar before the paint cleaner (stage 1) and the polish (stage 2)?
Old 12-03-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the three step process is what I use also. WASH, CLAY BAR, STEP1, STEP2 and then STEP3 which can be done twice if you want for that extra layer of protection. STEP 1 is just a cleaner wax that strips off all old wax (also what a clay bar does) but clay bar gets all the deep crap out of your paint in addition to the old wax. STEP 2 removes swirls and oxidation and of course STEP 3 puts on a layer of protection and shine. Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EvilBLK02TA
Yes, the three step process is what I use also. WASH, CLAY BAR, STEP1, STEP2 and then STEP3 which can be done twice if you want for that extra layer of protection. STEP 1 is just a cleaner wax that strips off all old wax (also what a clay bar does) but clay bar gets all the deep crap out of your paint in addition to the old wax. STEP 2 removes swirls and oxidation and of course STEP 3 puts on a layer of protection and shine. Hope this helps.
Actually DC1 (Step 1) has very minor abrasives and will remove very light swirls in the clear coat.

DC2 (Step 2) is a pure polish and contains zero abrasives. This process is what gives the car a super shine. The DC2 has oils that makes the paint look wet. Keep in mind DC2 is a pure polish, so it doesn't have any wax characteristics. If you apply DC2 and then wash your car, you will remove DC2 from the finish. That is why DC3 is very important.

DC3 (step 3) is a carnauba wax. DC3 will lock in the shine of the DC2 and keep the paint on the car shiny for a long time.

So the order should be:

1) Wash with Meguiar's Gold Class car soap or another Meguiar's car soap. Dry the car.

2) Get the clay bar, Meguiar's Quick Detailer, and a microfiber towel. I like to clay bar my car one panel at a time. I always start with the hood and work my way around. Spray half the hood with quick detailer and then rub the clay bar with little to no pressure across the paint. It should feel like sandpaper. As you go over the same areas it should turn smooth. Wipe down the quick detailer and clay bar residue and move to the next section.

3) Apply DC1 and remove it with a microfiber (different microfiber than the one you used to remove the quick detailer).

4) Apply DC2 and remove it. Make sure you don't let DC2 dry. It is a pure polish and can be removed as soon as you lay it down. I normally will do one panel and then remove it and then go to the next panel.

5) Apply DC3 an then remove it. Let the DC3 dry to a light haze. If the car is in the garage, this takes about 20 to 30 minutes depending on the temperature.

Check out http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/ if you have any questions.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anotherreject04
ok...and also claybar before the paint cleaner (stage 1) and the polish (stage 2)?
Just do a thorough job of claying the car after you wash it. No need clay it between each step.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

if this is ur frist time using a clay bar either get two, or tear it in half and use one half at a time. **** hapens, i remeber when i first used one i dropped it. had to go the store and get another one. heres a little tip, dont touch the ground
Old 12-03-2006, 05:38 PM
317indy

wash 2 times, claybar, rewash, then do the 3 steps.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:02 PM
12 Second Club

Claybar is always first. Its a cleaner.

Quick Reply: claybar + meguires 3 step