Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Some problems with my hid's...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some problems with my hid's...

Ok, i bought a used set of hid's off the ls1tech for sale boards. they are still ledgauges.com hid's so if you could chime in here nathan i would appreciate it. also if there is something wrong with my lights, does the 1 year warranty still apply to me or not because they were resold?? thank you.

They were said to be still pretty new. But im having some issues with them. They light up fine and look great so i assume i installed them right. however, The first time i installed them i didnt have the car running. i just plugged them in and hit the headlight **** while the car was off, just to test them. later that day, i went to start my car and nothing. the battery was completely and i mean completely dead. it didnt even make that little tick noise when its like really really dead. it just wouldnt start. so i unplugged the hid's and got someone to jump me.

i then headed to work and once i got there i shut the car off and crossed my fingers. sure enough it turned right back on. ok.....that was weird. so i get off about 4 hours later and i go to start the car and it starts right up. i hook up the hids and turn them on and they work fine. i got home and readjusted them. the only problem i noticed them was that there was a little bit of a whining type sound coming from the engine. i thought nothing of it and figured it was something else.

about 30 minutes later i went back out to get some food. here is where it gets weird...i noticed the whining sound again, only this time it was louder and i could here it from inside my car. it was coming from the engine bay. Then after about 15 seconds of the whining my windshied wipers lifted up about an inch as if they were going to automatically turn on but then they went down. it does this every 15 or so seconds when the hid's are on. it whines for 15 seconds then the wipers lift then they set down and it whines again. so by now im like wtf my car is possessed. so i turn my headlights off and nothing. no whining, no wiper problems nothing. so now im sure its something to do with the hids. any help would be greatly appreciated guys, i just got these and i want to be able to use them but i dont want to fry my car's electrical system.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

When you installed the ballasts, did you use double sided tape to make sure they aren't grounding out where you mounted them? Not sure if thats the real problem, but it sounds like something is touching were it might not supposed to be.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used zip ties and i mounted them to the main black piece that the headlights slides into. you know the two little tabs on the headlights bracket that slide into that piece of metal thats attached to the car? i zip tied the ballasts to that. should it not be touching any metal or what? i didnt get any directions.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

the sound is normal..it has done that since the first day I bought them.. And nathan also says thats normal. Now about the windshield wipers.. I have no idea..I mounted mine with double sided tape on the plastic piece just to the side of the light. Nothing was touching metal and it worked fine.. Take some pics of your install!!

LAndon
Old 12-13-2006, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

mine did the same thing at first, i have had them for about 2 months, and havent seen the problem since the first week.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it must have been that they were hitting metal. because i bought new double sided tape strips and moved them and theyre fine now. sorry for the panic lol.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:55 PM

That was your problem, they were grounding out. The ballasts will make a slight buzzing noise BUT it wont be coming from the inside of the car, just the ballasts.

We have had a few customers (only fbodies go figure) have this problem. But the double sided tape will fix it.
-Nathan
Old 12-15-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

^^ FINALLY a site where u can buy a whole hid conversion kit for low beams, high beams and fog lights!!! This makes my day. Whoever you are, thank you, lol. I have been looking for something like this for years.