Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID foglight question...technical question

Old 12-14-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default HID foglight question...technical question

I'm going to be purchasing a HID kit for the foglights that I have (they take H3 lamps) and I want to be able to use the stock connector. All I really need is the 880 stock lamp plug to be able to plug it in but I do not know where to find just that plug. Anyone know where to find them? The kit I want to buy has the H3 style which would work fine but the way I have the lights rigged now...I'm not the most confident in risking electrical issues with a $300 kit.

-brian
Old 12-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

How are you going to fit an H3 in place of the stock 880?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crap I've got pictures of how i did this on my pC at school. Let me take some tommorow and i'll post them up. It its kind of ghetto rigged but it works and no electrical issues!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:58 PM

If you send me the connectors I can get the kit and have the connectors soldered in place so you can just plug them in. I can get the kit to you for $230 shipped, Ill do the soldering and what not free.
-Nathan
Old 12-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
If you send me the connectors I can get the kit and have the connectors soldered in place so you can just plug them in. I can get the kit to you for $230 shipped, Ill do the soldering and what not free.
-Nathan
I used the bases of my broken fog light bulbs to make my aftermarket fog light kit "plug-and-play".

www.fadingarrow.com/foglights.htm

I dont know if the stock fog light wiring can handle the power requirements of HIDs though. Its not just the steady-state power consumption to worry about, but also the start-up power spike. You might have to rig it up via a relay.

blackbirdws6,
If you haven't bought the kit yet, maybe you can send the old fog light bulbs to LS1_SS and take him up on his offer.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

VIP1 - I already switched to the LED ring foglights that use an H3 lamp. I just stubborn and don't like to chop and cut wires when I may not have to. Probably why I have these issues lol.

The offer is very enticing LS1_SS but my only problem is that you do not offer the color temp to match my current headlight kit. I am running a Kaixen 6500k kit which is slightly purple/white in color. It would actually be cheaper if I could use one of your kits because the one I am probably going to have to buy will be $300 to get it to match..and I will still have to rig it. If all it takes is some soldering skill to simply use the 880 base then I don't see the problem in doing this to the kit I will eventually get. So I guess they do not sell just the female(?) end that is attached to the plug? Thanks for the help guys.

-Brian
Old 12-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Banned

I used the old fog light bulb connecters too, but i didn't have to splice into anything. I just got home from work and i'm tired as hell, like i said I'll snap yousome pics tommorow.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
So I guess they do not sell just the female(?) end that is attached to the plug?
The bulb side is male.
The harness side is female.

VIP1 - I already switched to the LED ring foglights that use an H3 lamp. I just stubborn and don't like to chop and cut wires when I may not have to. Probably why I have these issues lol.
If all it takes is some soldering skill to simply use the 880 base then I don't see the problem in doing this to the kit I will eventually get.
I didn't want to cut up my stock wiring either.
Check out the fog light page on my site.

Last edited by VIP1; 12-14-2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

VIP1- Thanks for the clarification on the male/female deal. I have checked your site before and found it very informative. I will most likely snap off the old bulb and solder the connectors so I can use the factory harness. Now all I gots to do is get the HID kit.

Dirtybird - It's not a rush thing I'm doing so take your time. Let me know when you have some pics.

-Brian
Old 03-15-2007, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian,
You know I've got this all figured out with the factory harness and correct plugs. Holla at me if you still need some help.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID foglight question...technical question