Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

! Airbags

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ! Airbags

sorry if this isnt the right section to post this, But I want to take out my airbags.

I am getting racing seats and a 4 or 5 pt harness soon. I wont be needing my airbags anymore. I am afraid that any shop will not do this, because its a safety iussue.

I need to ask 2 things:

How to take out, both my drivers side and passenger side airbags and how much weight will it reduce.

Also if there is a step by step procedure to installing my new racing seats. K thanks
Old 12-16-2006, 06:10 PM

i think that you need them they are there for a reason even if it is a full blown race car
Old 12-16-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you had better ask your insurance agent also.
If you remove them, & by some odd chance in hell you do get in some type of accident, you'll have a hell of a time trying to get them to pay off any injury claims.
If it's no longer going to be driven on the street & not insured, ..., then sure go ahead.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:12 AM
10 Second Club

My insurance agent has seen first hand that I have no bags and he didn't say it was a problem. Dealers will even disable your bags for you if you sign a waiver. Alot of people just don't feel safe with them. Hell, in many cars you can turn them off yourself. Also in a street/strip car, it's not a bad idea to disable them. Several F-bodies have poped the bags after snapping a driveshaft. Plus, if you wear your 5 point on the street, they arn't going to help you much.

Anyway to answer your question. The driver side bag is actually part of the center cover (bolts are in the back of the steering wheel). If you want to retain the stock wheel you will need a airbag delete cover (billingsley used to make them). It's just easier to buy a new wheel. I believe I saved 6lbs with my Grant wheel. You'll have to yank the dash to get to the passanger side bag. Everybody bitches about pulling the dash but, it's not that bad. I believe the passanger side bag with bracket was over 10lbs, I can check tommorow.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

go for it. like said, wear the harness at all times and your good.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alot of people dont feel safe with them????????? are you serious?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
actually yes. many people have gotten into minor accidents, where there was no need for an airbag to deploy. but when it did, they got their nose broken and burns on their face and hands....

airbags can be pretty dangerous. especially if they go off when theyre not supposed to, or if the driver isnt properly restrained.

but that being said, they do save alot of lives as well...
Old 12-17-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm...r%20/%20Safety
Old 12-17-2006, 09:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
Yes, and it's especially dangerous for short people that have to sit very close to the wheel just to reach the pedals. People in this situation have been killed by airbags. I suspect that's one of the reasons that automakers are jumping on the adjustable pedal band wagon.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Grant it I drive a 3rd gen, but I swapped out my wheel for an 86 version, that has no airbag. I like the feel of the wheel a lot better.

"A car is made to get your from point A to point B comfortably. If you are buying a car to crash, buy a tank." - One of the top 3 American auto manufacturers back in the day.

Quick Reply: ! Airbags