Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HELP!-- spiderwebbing

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!-- spiderwebbing

Anybody know how to get rid of spiderwebbing? The car is black. Apparently the original owner didn't have good washing and drying habits. I tried zaino z-5 and z-pc fusion but neither one made that big of a difference. If I take it to a professional to have it buffed, will that get rid of it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pick up a Porter Cable polisher, part# 7336 or 7424, some polishing pads, and either some Menzerna polish or Meguiar's #83 and #80. After that, do a search on how to use the polisher and you should be able to take care of the spiderwebbing and any other defects the paint the car may have.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

dont forget to finish up with a sealant/ wax to really make it look purty. Zaino is an excellent choice.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Spiderwebbing most likely is not from washing. Someone must have tapped the car and caused a slight crack which led to a spider web. And most likely, the buffer will not get it out.

My .02
Old 12-19-2006, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Spiderwebbing most likely is not from washing. Someone must have tapped the car and caused a slight crack which led to a spider web. And most likely, the buffer will not get it out.

My .02
I believe he is talking about the other kind of spider webbing.....the fine hairline scratches in the paint, much like swirls, but they go in different directions and such. If someone leaned on the paint or something was drug across a finish, it will create spiderwebbing especially if the paint was dirty. They appear as swirls would, only not swirled.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HAWK#549
I believe he is talking about the other kind of spider webbing.....the fine hairline scratches in the paint, much like swirls, but they go in different directions and such. If someone leaned on the paint or something was drug across a finish, it will create spiderwebbing especially if the paint was dirty. They appear as swirls would, only not swirled.

Good point. Hopefully that's the problem.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cant do much about it, try wetsanding and polishing it if you know what your doing, other than that you'll just have to get it blown in by a body shop
Old 12-19-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

try ZPC with a orange pad and orbital sander or PC.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

post a couple of pics so we can see what you are talking about, then we will have a better idea of how to help you ..

where are you located?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

ok everyone, thanks for the help. I'll try and get some pics up to show what i'm talking about. It's not the kind of spiderwebbing that's in the fiberglass, it's in the paint or clearcoat. What does using the porter cable with a foam pad do exactly? Is it removing a thin layer of clear coat or what? Is that how it gets rid of the spiderwebbing?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Indiana Hawk
ok everyone, thanks for the help. I'll try and get some pics up to show what i'm talking about. It's not the kind of spiderwebbing that's in the fiberglass, it's in the paint or clearcoat. What does using the porter cable with a foam pad do exactly? Is it removing a thin layer of clear coat or what? Is that how it gets rid of the spiderwebbing?
A porter cable, or any other professional polisher, when combined with quality polishing pads, will actually abrade away the top layer of the paint, Thus removing the defects that are on the top layer of paint. After you are done polishing, the now clean, defect-free paint you are looking is actually the layer under all of the scrathces, swirls, spider webbing......
Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

as far as your specific problem, we would need to see pics to properly diagnose the problem.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the paint starts spider webbing, that means the paint is separating which most likely came from someone backing into it or even a person walking into it. But no wax or buffer will make the paint come back together. My back bumper starting doing this i just took it up to my dads work sanded it down and then basecoat and clearcoat and it was new again no more webs. It's not like it is that expensive, i wish i would've went ahead and did the ceta mod while i painted it

Quick Reply: HELP!-- spiderwebbing