Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Is My SS Hood Geniune GM OEM?

Old 12-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is My SS Hood Geniune GM OEM?

I bought a hood of of a member on here. i was told that tihis was a genuine GM OEM SS hood. Well i got the hood, and i cannot find a part number on this thing, i figured since it was oem it would have one. The hood did actually come of of an SS, but it may have been in an accident and replaced with aftermarket. if anyone knows a way to tell an aftermarket from OEM let me know.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 PM
FormerVendor

I'm pretty sure there should be a number inscribed to where the hood shocks mount...
Old 12-21-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

If it fits perfect, and is not too high on any of the corners then yes. But if it is a little off then you can bet its aftermarket, post some pics and Ill tell you (to my best knowledge of course. I mean, ****, it it fits perfectly then who cares
Old 12-22-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

indicators of it being real.......
if the ss scoop grill is circled at the ends and not sqared off
if its functionial underneathe
perfect design of scoop (not ****, obvisously)
fits perfect
fine craftsmenship
Old 12-22-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
If it fits perfect, and is not too high on any of the corners then yes. But if it is a little off then you can bet its aftermarket, post some pics and Ill tell you (to my best knowledge of course. I mean, ****, it it fits perfectly then who cares
vfn, for example, hoods look stock, and fit stock, so fitment is not a good way to determine if the hood is real. you need to find a number on it, if theres no number then its fake. thats the only way to really tell, or get the guys vin number and call slp.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

As phantomzer0 stated judging by filament is no way to know if it's an OEM hood. My ASCD SS hood fit's as good as an OEM SS hood a few minor adjustments ins some cases (adjusting the hood slotted hinges and all is good). I have seen many OEM SS hoods sits a little high or have a little more of a gap on one side then the other and this is a SS off the lot.

Under one of the hood shock mounts you will have some numbers etched into the hood.

The other will be tape SLP put on the ends of the hood where the headlamps meet the hood to protect them from the rubber rubbing on the paint.

The other is the perfect seam of the bottom of the SS hood and the top of the SS hood where it’s joined.

Hope this helps

Happy Holidays
Sean
Old 12-22-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

NO, I have seen plenty of VFN hoods that dont fit half as good as OEM hoods, so I think it is a good indicator
Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i do not have a number where the hood shocks mount. i do have something etched/dremel'd into the hood where the hood latch is though (the one in the center, not the offset one with the handle that you grab when you want to open the hood), CH98-12 and then after that it is illegible.

scoop is functional

i have the tape above the headlights.

do you think my hood is real or fake?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdoyle
i do not have a number where the hood shocks mount. i do have something etched/dremel'd into the hood where the hood latch is though (the one in the center, not the offset one with the handle that you grab when you want to open the hood), CH98-12 and then after that it is illegible.

scoop is functional

i have the tape above the headlights.

do you think my hood is real or fake?
Based on this I am inclined to say the hood is authentic. Does the "etching" look like this?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

IIRC it may or may not say "made in canada" somewhere on it also
Old 03-25-2011, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine has a made in Canada stamp (indented or raised can't remember) in the center section under the hood...if ur looking at it installed and opened up it's closer to the windshield
Old 03-25-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
NO, I have seen plenty of VFN hoods that dont fit half as good as OEM hoods, so I think it is a good indicator
I'm with this guy and agree. how much did he charge you for the hood? and if it looks good and fits good that's what matters unless you paid a lot for it IMO
Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MjMaro
Based on this I am inclined to say the hood is authentic. Does the "etching" look like this?
no, it doesnt look like that at all. mine are definitely hand done and near the center hood latch

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
Mine has a made in Canada stamp (indented or raised can't remember) in the center section under the hood...if ur looking at it installed and opened up it's closer to the windshield
mine says U.S. Patent No. 1386457 in the center section area that is close to the windshield.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

run the patent no. through the us patent office website. i cant access it on a govt computer
Old 03-28-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jsteele90
run the patent no. through the us patent office website. i cant access it on a govt computer
i think i have it wrong or something alone those lines because google patents is pulling up a spark plug patent from 1921 and USPO website isnt finding anything based on that patent number.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

my etching looks like this

also, here is a picture of my scoop if that helps. clean hood i'll tell you what!

im also looking to determine if my spoiler is genuine or not. im leaning more towards yes on this one than the hood. here are some pictures of the made in canada as well as the asm number.

please let me know if you think my hood/spoiler is real or not. thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's a '96-'97 hood, it'll say MADE IN CANADA in two spots under the hood. One on the driver's side near the windshield, and another inside the area for the airbox. Don't know on '98-'02...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is My SS Hood Geniune GM OEM?