Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Calipers

Im ordering rims next week and im going to be painting my stock calipers...i think it would be best to take them off then paint them...is this true...also what color should i paint them if the car is cayenne red metallic....and what kit should i buy...i want them to look as good as possible...and do they come with a clear coat? Thanks Jason
Old 01-26-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it were me I'd paint them cayenne red metallic.

I know nothing about painting them - try a search?
Old 01-26-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

painted mine red. I did it the simple way: spray the high heat red paint into it's own cap and use a small brush to paint the calipers while the wheels are on the car. If you have 17's, it shouldn't be a problem to reach through the spokes and paint the caliper. Yes, I was lazy and no, you won't get better results by taking 3 hours to paint some ******* calipers.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Paint brush?? Man... you guys are crazy...lol I didn't take mine off the car, rather just masked off the areas very well. Clean them with brake cleaner, rough them up a bit with a wire brush to get any stuff off them, brake cleaner again, then use high temp spray paint. Any overspray you get on the rotor will come off in a matter of minutes after driving the car.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

so say you already have red calipers and you want to paint them black, am i gonna have to sand em' down or cani just clean the caliper with cleaner and just paint over it?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats a claiper JK

I painted them on the car with spray paint and they came out pretty good. When I upgrade though they are getting polished.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
so say you already have red calipers and you want to paint them black, am i gonna have to sand em' down or cani just clean the caliper with cleaner and just paint over it?
Brake cleaner MIGHT take off the old paint. If not, get a wire wheel brush for your drill. I did mine a while back, but it was a humid day, so they had lots of air bubbles in them. I removed the paint with a wire brush, cleaned them up, then painted again until I got the look I wanted.

-Mike
Old 01-26-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by UAZ28SS
Paint brush?? Man... you guys are crazy...lol I didn't take mine off the car, rather just masked off the areas very well. Clean them with brake cleaner, rough them up a bit with a wire brush to get any stuff off them, brake cleaner again, then use high temp spray paint. Any overspray you get on the rotor will come off in a matter of minutes after driving the car.
Actually, the Duplicolor kit comes with a brush, and it works pretty well. A sponge brush works better, but I rattle canned the backs with high temp paint and I can't tell a difference between brushed and sprayed.

-Mike
Old 01-26-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks mike, so should i spray paint it or brush it?
Old 01-27-2007, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool...I'm gonna start on mine in a few weeks
Old 01-27-2007, 04:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

i am in the process of powdercoating mine in school. My car is down because the tranny is out so i took the wheels off then the calipers and broke the calipers down all the way, going to powder coat them high gloss red, and then just the spokes on my wheels high gloss black. Powder coat is way better than paint! i painted mine b4 with high temp paint...didnt last long b4 they turned orange!
Old 01-27-2007, 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went with the brush method too. No overspray, no mess. I used a high temp aluminum color for the calipers. Then I removed the brackets and used POR-15 semi gloss black for them. I wanted them to look like they came only clean.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I did mine black with the rattle can ceramic engine paint. Turned out nice and has held up very well.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

It's really up to you. If you're planning to remove them, I say mask off the spots where you don't want paint and spray them. If you want to leave them on the car, go to Home Depot and get a couple 1" sponge brushes (they're cheap) and an artist's brush kit, which will come with some smaller brushes, for the nooks and crannies (like the "windows" where you can see the brake pads).

I was on the way to polishing mine, so I had already sanded off the casting flash and sanded away the "rough" texture. You certainly don't have to go that far, but I'd highly recommend cleaning them as best you can, so the paint sticks to metal and not dirt.

-Mike
Old 01-27-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

alrighty than, im doing it today!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

I took mine off to paint and also so I could install my braided brake lines too. Had to get alot of oxidation off the calipers, painted them, and then put the camaro logo on them. They have been fine for the whole summer. Just used some black brake caliper paint for Pep Boys.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to be painting mine but I think I'm going to be using just a small can of enamel paint from Wal-Mart. It should hold up just fine... I'm not sure I see the need for a special high temp paint. I don't want to spray and I don't want to pay an overpriced amount for a "kit" from Autozone.

Unless someone knows where I can buy just a can of high temp paint instead of rattle.

Quick Reply: Painting Calipers