Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

chrome powder coat

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question chrome powder coat

hey guys just wondering if a part could be powder coated to look like chrome?
thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes! Eastwood has it.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/

Also they have non-powdercoat type Chrome like paint. You nee an airbrush or touch up gun. First lay down black, then lightly chrome paint over that then clear coat it.... They sell a kit.

Good luck, what are you "chroming"?

Ram
Old 02-04-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you end up doing this, I would love to see pictures of it. I have lots of powdercoating done to my car, but never gotten a chance to see any chrome PCing.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I too have just about everything i could possibly get pc'd done, a friend of mine worked as a manager at Airborne Coatings for a while and just got done whatever we needed, now he had a type of chrome powder but it really wasnt chrome at all, just like a metallic silver, i would love to see this since getting wheels powdercoated chrome is a lot cheaper then getting them re-chromed.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

well its the tow hooks on my 04 escalade ext
my wife a few days ago was pulling out of a parking lot and rad in to a 2 door civic.
she hit it in the passenger side quarter and the honda was prety bad but my truck was fine just some minor scratches that i took out with my porter cable.
so most of the damage was done by the passenger side tow hook on my truck and i wanted the chrome ones off e bay but 150 for hooks is way to much.
so i have a bike shop that does powder coating so i wasent shure if there was a chrome powder coat or not.
i have a can of chrome paint so if i put a black base and a few coats of chrome paint and then some clear it might look ok.
ill do a little r&d on it and let you know.
ill check with the powdercoater tuesday and give you guys a up date
Old 02-04-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesn't exactly come out looking like chrome.
See the photos in these ads for representation.
http://motors.search.ebay.com/chrome...meQ20powderQ2a
Old 02-04-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

The chrome powder coat looks more like the part is polished and needs to be polished up. It's a little dull looking. I have my intake on my project car powder coated in the chrome looking powder
Old 02-04-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

NOTHING is gonna look like chrome - but chrome (closest thing is polished stainless Steel).

I have a Hi Output alternator that was powdercoated in the chrome - not even close. Yes, it's silver, but it is dull and reminds me more of aluminum than anything else - good thing it can't be seen - otherwise it would crap up all the real chrome.

Powdercoating will be cheaper than chrome - if cheaper is what you're looking for then go for it. If you want the real thing and the looks that go along with it, then you're gonna have to pony up the $$
Old 02-04-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: king of prussia, pa (home) and williamsport, pa (school)

theres a coating out there called 'hyper silver'

im thinking of doing it to my wheels

heres an example
Old 02-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Launching!

I think there are different coatings and some are better than others...look at that alternator on ebay that PontiacFan showed us....not bad.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/chrom...eQ20pow derQ2a

Sorry if off topic but...NON powder wise speaking...

I wonder how Eastwoods LIQUID CHROME enamel paint is...it is f**king ex$pensive at 70 bucks for the kit, so it better be good. I'm gonna probably try it. It has high chrome content base and a urethane clear coat.

I am an airbrush artist for 30 years and one thing I notice is the CLEAR cote usually dulls the base Chrome paint like hell. The clear has to be a different base than the chrome. Like Eastwood uses Urethane Clear over Chrome enamel. I would use Water base Clear Acrylic over Spray Chrome enamel. That way the clear does not eat the undercoat and dull it. It dulls it because all the tiny flakes of reflective metal laid flat when it dried...and they reflect light really well in base coat...but then you went and melted a little bit of the base coat and jumbled them up. Making it look more like frosted aluminum.

So POWDER COAT wise speaking...the clear might eat at the chrome a little bit too. not good.

my 2 cents....maybe off topic...anyhoooooo.
ram
Old 02-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Launching!

ONEQUIKWS6: Do you have pictures of your engine bay? I'm sure it's bitchin''...

Polished Aluminum look is nice too, and after spending (never mind!) grand on my drivetrain, (see sig) I don't have (ANY!) money or time to do what you did! Kudos to ya but there must be another way....

Another way to look at it is our engine blocks are aluminum so if it ALL looks like polished aluminum, that is true and true is cool.

I guess I'm saying it could be....not just "Cheaper"..... but a good complete look....if everything has the same aluminum polished sheen to it under your hood...including "powder coat or painted chrome" bits if they seem to match up ok.

Chrome is absolutely amazing if you can do it ALL in chrome...but very very few can. Like you said some parts dull and some parts chrome...no good.

Anyway this is really helping me figure out my stuff, just talking it through...thanks guys.

Last edited by rambo benson; 02-10-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Launching!

OH Sh** I went overboard again. ( I do that a lot) I just noticed Shaun is [B]just painting a couple of tow hooks. [/B]

Where the hell is that embarrassed icon when you need it - like now?

Shaun, the best chrome paint I have ever used is Plasticolor. I don't even know if they sell it anymore. You won't need clear with it, it self coats with it's own internal clear.

All the others are hit or miss. And you can't spray over them unless you buy that Eastwood Liquid Chrome kit with clear for 70 bucks.

And I don't know anything about powder coating so maybe you want to try that.

Do you use these hooks? If so, you have to chrome plate them anyway for a buck fifty or so.

GOOD LUCK, I'm going to go bore somebody else now!

Last edited by rambo benson; 02-10-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emerica4601
theres a coating out there called 'hyper silver'

im thinking of doing it to my wheels

heres an example
I have these wheels on my TA in Tripple Chrome. Looks great.

Quick Reply: chrome powder coat