Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

GTO: Getting There (Tint, HIDs, Splitter, Accents)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTO Photoshoot: Getting There (Tint, HIDs, Splitter, Accents)

2006 Spice Red Metallic GTO

Installed:

- 20% window tint (sides and rear), 45% semi-metallic on entire front windshield (in overcast light it looks like glare across the windshield, otherwise you dont even know its tinted but you really have to look to see the GTO embroidered on the headrests, easy to see out of at night and cuts down on other car's headlight glare as well as sunlight glare)

- Xenon 4300k HID low-beam and foglight conversion, using the factory projector housings for the low-beams there is some very slight modifying to be done everything is mostly plug-and-play and there is plenty of real estate to mount the ballasts under the headlight area

- Midwest front splitter, just a flat black aluminum piece that I chose to leave the protective rubber trim on which serves only as an appearance/protection piece as it adds a little to the front of the car and takes away the "snubbed nose" look I think the Pontiac bumper has by extending the leading edge of the lower part of it... and it also protects as it'll scrape now before the bumper does, and its so subtle it cant possibly make a car look bad but I love the subtle sporty touch it adds

- Accents added are Grafxwerks dark red metallic arrowhead overlays for the front and rear arrowheads as the stock arrowheads have kind of an orange tinge in them and I wanted to get rid of that and streamline the car a bit more, and I also ditched the factory amber turn signal bulbs out of the headlight housing as well as the taillights as they reflected the whole area orange and replaced them with chrome/amber bulbs that dont cast any reflection at all but light up amber so at night the lighting looks stock but during daylight it gets rid of all the amber color on the car

To Do/Install:

- King springs front and rear, these will lower the front of the car slightly, approx. 1/2", and the rear springs should keep the rear of the car at stock height or raise it ever so slightly giving the car a very nice and subtle rake and the stance needed to really set the car off right (this will be done as soon as Pedders gets me the HD strut mounts that are on backorder)

- Racemesh lower grille insert, this will replace the horizontal bars of the lower grille area with a woven "racemesh" material that looks just like the grille material of the V-series line of Cadillacs but will be powdercoated black which should tie it in nicely with the "honeycomb" structure of the factory kidney grilles and hood scoop grilles (this will be done as soon as Racemesh ships my grille)

- Flat/satin black factory kidney grilles, have an extra set that I need to get professionally painted along with the lower rear bumper "GTO" valance to match, which should get rid of all the grey on the car and tie all the black together (this will be done when I get un-lazy and take these things to a body shop)

- Debadging the "PONTIAC" and "6.0" lettering off of the trunk lid to clean that up as well (tackling this one this coming weekend)

Notes:

- Lacey likes the camera, it gets her wet, LOL Seriously, the laws of nature dictated that as soon as the car was semi-clean it had to start raining. She was filthy and I sprayed her off at the local wash, did a quick hand-polish on the face and lip of the wheels, and then the water started coming down.

- It felt kind of good... the old Trans Am used to get tons of looks and compliments and the GTO isn't exactly the headturner the TA was, but since the addition of just these few things its already turning a few heads and while I was outside today putting the overlays on and it was cleaned up a bit and had two people stop as they drove by to ask about the car and compliment it, and when I was out shooting I had a guy stop by and talk to me about the car as well... I dont really do it for others as I'm doing exactly what I want with this car but its nice for others to notice the attention to detail you put into something

Wheels:

CCW 505As, 19x8.5 F (245/35/19s), 19x10 R (275/30/19s), Toyo Proxes T1Rs

Camera:

Nikon D80 dSLR 10.2MP with Nikkor DX 18-135mm lens

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by josh99ta; 02-12-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Tech Resident

Both your Goat and photography skills are the ****
Old 02-12-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't care for GTO's much when they first came out. After seeing yours and a couple others with a nice stance and great looking rims I wouldn't mind owning one myself.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

damn dude she's coming together. i wish i had the money to do all of this. ive always loved your GTO..keep up the good work man
Old 02-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Car looks amazing man. I am not a huge GTO fan, but yours is done right. Props to you.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by RobbieTransAm
Car looks amazing man. I am not a huge GTO fan, but yours is done right. Props to you.
Those compliments are the ones I love the most. I personally have always liked the GTOs but had never seen one done the way I think one should have been. I know they have controversial styling too. That was part of the draw in me selling the Trans Am and picking up the GTO... kind of like a challenge. Thanks guys.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Very nice looking.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Restricted User - Non Spon Soliciting

I didn't care for GTOs until I saw yours...NICE
Old 02-12-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best looking GTO I have seen, trying to talk my g/f into one down the line

I wasn't a fan of them when they first released, but they have really grown on me.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

VERY nice!!! I think it would be cool to find some type of lip spoiler for that car. Kind of like the spoilers on the 1960's Camaros....might look cool
Old 02-12-2007, 07:45 PM

They do make a lip spoiler for the car. A very small one and a larger "ducktail" type one. If they made an inbetween size I'd be all over it but since they dont I'm still undecided. I need to see one in person first. In all honesty though before its over with I'll probably end up with the ducktail spoiler instead of the stocker but its not high on the priority list right now though.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks fantastic
Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

That splitter looks great, nice touch. Sick photos as always!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

i love you
Old 02-13-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

gotta love those lip spoilers.... Nice choice on wheels by the way, I remember you had a pole on which ones to choose
Old 02-13-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice pics man! what kind of camera do you use?
Old 02-13-2007, 01:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

looks amazing
Old 02-13-2007, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been a fan of the GTO since day one. I may sell the SS and pick up one of these hundreds of 06 leftovers. Great job and nice goat!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Lookin good man.

Good choice on the racemesh grilles. Ive seen a couple in person, and it looks amazing if you do the upper and lower the way you're talkin. Simple and subtle does it again
Old 02-13-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

looks really nice man ..... love the subtleness of it all

oh ya #8 and #9 are my favorites for whatever its worth

Quick Reply: GTO: Getting There (Tint, HIDs, Splitter, Accents)