Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Buffing tips

Old 02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buffing tips

So I'm planning to buy a Makita 7" 9227c buffer (recommended to me by a buddy who lives in Canada and details exotics for a living). I used to work at a dealership reconditioning cars but I only ever buffed one car. I have the basic idea of it but are there any websites with tips? I would prefer some sort of video if possible. Or perhaps some of you could give me some tips.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

autogeek.net
Old 02-22-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend starting with a DA polisher, instead of a rotary. Much more forgiving ..

if you are dead set on a rotary, then my second recommendation would be go to a junkyard, spend $50 on an old hood, and practice.. second tip would be practice some more ..

do a ton of reading.

It is very difficult to make a mistake that can't be corrected using a DA and the properpads. It is also very easy to make a mistake with a rotary that can only be fixed with a repaint.

Rotary polishers are best left to the experienced. An inexperienced person can use one successfully, but why take a chance?

if the swirls on your car are so bad they can't be removed with a DA, then they are probably more than you should attempt to correct by yourself.

just my two cents.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The swirls on my car are not bad, no. I have oxidation on the hood that I am really trying to remove. Otherwise, it's just minor paint imperfections.

And I do plan to go with a rotary but after reading up on Autopia.org I am going with the PC since it is highly recommended. I also thought about the j/y idea for a body panel to practice on. Good idea.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

SLOW!!!!!
LOW SPEED!!!!
DONT LEAVE IN ONE SPOT!!!
KNOW what you are doing, what products you might need and what your goal is before your start.

Oh yeah...Go SLOW!!!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Should you use a slow speed even if you have a DA polisher?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

For at least "learning" the speed, yeah. Lower speeds are more forgiving. You might not get the best benefit from the product, but its much easier to learn using 2-2 1/2 then 6.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I know the basics like not staying in one spot and constantly keeping it moving or else the friction heats up the paint too much. Now onto buying a Porter Cable... should I just grab it from eBay as a standalone (example or should I buy a kit from Autopia.org (this one)?

I would think the kit is the better idea since it comes with the backing plate, a couple pads, 2-year warrenty (which is awesome), and an instruction CD.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buffing tips