Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Center console questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center console questions

I have console issues. I like the way that third gens have the power window switches on the center console, but I hate the shift boot set up. I really like this shift/ e-brake boot set up, but I don't like 4th gen consoles (which sucks since I have a 95 Trans Am)-

I don't think it would firt like that on a third gen, right?

Here's what their third gen design looks like-

I don't really like the design for the third gens. What do I do? I've never tried fabricating anything, so I wouldn't even know where to begin if I wanted to build something myself. To make a long story short, I want a third gen console with the 4th gen shift boot set up. What should I do?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

find someone to custom make you a console, OR learn how to do it yourself. All it takes is time. Everything you need to learn is on the internet, just be patient, learn and practice. I honestly cannot imagine it being too hard. You'll probably just make the basic shape of your console with foam or cardboard then just fiberglass over it. Then over the fiberglass add some bondo, smooth it out and paint it.

I dunno just read up on the net till you are able to do it.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

What about wood? I was thinking thin pieces of bass wood, but how the heck would I get it to conform to the carpet and stay in place?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just modify the stocker. Route the window switches (or install a redundant custom switch) into the center console!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

With wood you'd have to make a template of some sort out and then transfer that over to the wood.

You have TONS of options if you go custom. If not, its as easy as buying a junker 3rd gen console in a junkyard and seeing how it fits in the 4th gen.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
Also make sure you have artistic talent. Without that your sorta screwed. Practice makes perfect I guess.
Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect. So, why practice?

HAHA. Just whatever you do, make sure you post up some finished results or even make a How-To while you're doing it! Good luck!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input and I could use all the help and advice I can get.
Originally Posted by Ling_650vette
With wood you'd have to make a template of some sort out and then transfer that over to the wood.

You have TONS of options if you go custom. If not, its as easy as buying a junker 3rd gen console in a junkyard and seeing how it fits in the 4th gen.
I was thinking maybe I'll take measurements and get it to fit where it needs to go, then saw/ sand/ dremmel out what I need to in order to get it to conform to the carpet, then screw in bolts or something to hold it in place. I'm in no rush. This is more of a summer project. I just want to start getting ideas and planning now.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

What about a Corvette console? Would a C5 or C6 console fit? I like the look of those, plus I could just relocate the window switches.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Storms of War
What about a Corvette console? Would a C5 or C6 console fit? I like the look of those, plus I could just relocate the window switches.

Don't have both right here but they are like half the height if I remember correctly.

I think they are shorter as well and the back is two wide (since it sits behind the seats at the back. Which if I picture it correctly would make the wider back part sit right where the seats in the F-Body would be.

*just looked*The F-Body console goes under the dash a bit (multi piece) while the C5's goes all the way up it, sorta like a single piece.

These guys are good if you are interested in custom lamination etc. Heard nothing but good stuff about them, other than price...

http://www.apsisusa.com/Iindex.htm
Old 03-01-2007, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
*just looked*The F-Body console goes under the dash a bit (multi piece) while the C5's goes all the way up it, sorta like a single piece.

These guys are good if you are interested in custom lamination etc. Heard nothing but good stuff about them, other than price...

http://www.apsisusa.com/Iindex.htm
I appreciate the link. I'm thinking of rigging something up to mount the Corvette console onto. I'd have to cut the front part where it slopes upward. That shouldn't be much of an issue since I can cover the cut edge or stuff it under the dash. My main concern is whether or not the shift boot and E brake will line up. If they do, I'll be don't some ordering very soon.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might I suggest simply getting ALOT of good quality pictures of the Vette one you like, then fabricating the one you really want to fit properly?

Originally Posted by Storms of War
I appreciate the link. I'm thinking of rigging something up to mount the Corvette console onto. I'd have to cut the front part where it slopes upward. That shouldn't be much of an issue since I can cover the cut edge or stuff it under the dash. My main concern is whether or not the shift boot and E brake will line up. If they do, I'll be don't some ordering very soon.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, maybe stick the Corvette one onto a modified stock one. Not even necessarily visible just have the whole base there so it stays steady.

Quick Reply: Center console questions