Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how do u install clear cornors without removing headlights?

Old 03-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Restricted User - Non Spon Soliciting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do u install clear cornors without removing headlights?

I have a stripped bolt and would like to leave the headlights in as well as the front end. I never put silicon around them so condensation built up and blew the lights up. Do you recommend any cheap good ones. I have gone through 3 sets of afterthoughtsauto ones. I love the people over there but this just isn't working out
Old 03-26-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

you gotta do the silicone. It's pretty much your only option unless you get lucky.

There are bolts on the bottom of the car that open up some flaps to get access to the clear corners but it'll be much easier to take the headlights out. It's only one bolt
Old 03-26-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've done it without removing the headlights before. If you want the headlights to stay on there is no easiest or best way to do it. You'll have to remove the 3 screws from the corner lights and just move it around until you get it out.

Removing the headlights makes it much easier. Remove the one bolt and move the headlights toward the front of the bumper so that the two tabs slide out.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I've stripped that bolt too. Its not a very good arrangement to lay it into that plasic like that with the nut..or whatever it is. I ended up hacking it off and fabbing my own, just similar, nut and bolt instead of that crappy one with teeth that just digs into the plastic. How reinforced is it being supported by plastic? But it ended up working just as good, probably stronger. The headlight feels like it gives even less now. I can post pics if you want, but its super simple. I'd just get another nut/bolt, just make sure its around the same lenth and girth.

Damn, I used "girth" in a sentence.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Restricted User - Non Spon Soliciting

MavZ28...do you have an exact measurement on the bolt? I'll pick it up. I just ordered some new clear lights for $32 all said and done. I am going to cover this **** in silicon!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the clear corners the water gets in through the hole on top where the bulb plugs in, it's not as tight of a fit as the stock ones. Just put a nice coat of silicone on the rim of the plug before you plug the bulb in and you should be good. Mine got water in once and a friend showed me how he sealed his and since I did that they are perfect.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

I had the same problem. Just took a drill and drilled 3 -1/4inch holes in the bottom of each corner. Works great. havnt had a problem since.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spink
With the clear corners the water gets in through the hole on top where the bulb plugs in, it's not as tight of a fit as the stock ones. Just put a nice coat of silicone on the rim of the plug before you plug the bulb in and you should be good. Mine got water in once and a friend showed me how he sealed his and since I did that they are perfect.
bingo!!!!!! i did the same thing. problem solved.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noxiouSS
I had the same problem. Just took a drill and drilled 3 -1/4inch holes in the bottom of each corner. Works great. havnt had a problem since.
Ya They Told Me To Do The Same
Old 03-27-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just bought a used socket form a guy on here because water kept getting in my passenger side clear corner,i went thru 5 bulbs,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how do u install clear cornors without removing headlights?