Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dash Panel/Top Removal 1995 Z28 - How to?

Old 03-31-2007, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dash Panel/Top Removal 1995 Z28 - How to?

I'm working on my '95 Z28 and I'm trying to gain access to the bolts that hold the gauge cluster in. I have the A-pillars off and most of the dash apart, but it seems that the only way to continue is to remove the top dash panel. I know the very front near the windshield is held in using velcro-pads, and the other side is held in with clips. I can't gain access to the clips from underneath to release them as far as I can tell, and I was just hoping that someone out there would know the trick to removing it without breaking the clips. I think (not sure) the clips are actually different than 97+ cars where they are pressed in. On my car, they actually hook around the metal hole in the dash. You'd have to get something behind the hook to release it as far as I can tell, but it would be a crazy looking tool to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated... Thanks, John.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Resident

WOW....my car used to look just like that
Old 03-31-2007, 04:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DroppedM6Z
WOW....my car used to look just like that
Have you ever tried to remove the dash top/panel on your car? It almost seems like GM wanted this to be a disposable item.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've had mine off. It just popped out. no big thing. mines cracked too and i'm replacing it when i get home
Old 03-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ColeTrains'96Z28
i've had mine off. It just popped out. no big thing. mines cracked too and i'm replacing it when i get home
Hmmm... Mine won't just pop out and I've pulled up on the corner with a lot of force. It's not cracked anywhere (yet), but I'm afraid it's gonna be if I pull on it any harder.

Did you buy a new one from GM?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah i bought a new GM one. Cost me $172 but i get deals Everybody told me they aren't made anymore but that's BS. I think they stopped making the peice itself but GM cuts production after 10 years and when the parts run out they are gone. Then it's up to aftermarket to make them. You may still get one. i probably got one of the last few left
Old 03-31-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know what to tell you man. Mine is all busted up and I have been looking to get a new one myself. When you figure it out, let us know. That upper dash is a pain in the rear and seems to crack easily.

-bryan
Old 03-31-2007, 05:07 PM
12 Second Club

It uses plastic velcro in the rear. IT IS VERY STRONG. Also it has some velcro in the front and I think little plastic tabs in the front. Mine was busted in a corner, so I went to take it off to do the same thing you are and it busted in half so I ripped the rest out. GM list is like $278 but since I work at a dealership i got it for $180.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Launching!

I was finally able to get the dash top out! I the first and foremost thing I'll mention about the removal is to take your time, and don't rush anything. Even with that said, I did end up breaking one clip and the velcro-type pad in the center of the dash-side pulled out of it's mount (where the "point" is). Both of these were easily repaired. Since this was a learning experience for me, I now know the technique and location of each tab so I'm sure I could get this out next time without tweaking anything.

I took a lot of pictures so I should do some kind of How-To write up on it because I couldn't find one on the internet. In the mean time, here's a pic from underneath the dash cover.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash Panel/Top Removal 1995 Z28 - How to?