Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

about shit a brick the last time i washed the camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default about **** a brick the last time i washed the camaro

So as the title says i about **** a 10 pound brick after i washed my car last week. Its a black car. I and just finished drying it off when i looked back and it looked like some on had taken a fine grit sheet of sand paper to the hood. I mean the swirl marks were horrible. So i am sure this topic comes up a lot. but what can i do to keep this from happening. Or what can i do to fix what has already been done. Waxing makes them go away. But what do i need to do while washing it to keep them down or better yet where the hell do they come from.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a porter cable power buffer... search the forum for information on how to use this buffer to remove all your swirls...
Old 04-02-2007, 11:18 AM

porter cable there is a sticky in the apperance and detail section check it out man they will tell you exactly what to do
Old 04-02-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

This information will probably help you out a little bit.

It's likely that you're not causing these swirl marks every time you wash. THEY ARE ALREADY THERE.

When you wash, you are stripping away some of the wax you put on, and "exposing" the swirl marks that are already there.

When you re-wax the car, you have a new coat on there. Wax doesn't make them go away, it just fills in the tiny scratches and makes the light reflect off the surface evenly. It essentially "hides" them, but it does nothing to make them go away.

As these guys have said before me, but a Porter cable and Polish your car out, then wax. You'll have an amazing shine and a great surface. It's the only way to go!
Old 04-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Once the swirls are gone the safest way to go is use a microfiber mit to wash it. Then use the "absorber" , sold at any autozone, to dry it. Never use those brushes at the car wash, cause i went through the same thing
Old 04-02-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

ok thanks guys. As a matter of fact I already have a porter so i will look in to this.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's also possible you are using an old/dirty/cloth rag to wash and or dry? I use microfiber everything. Microfiber wash mits, microfiber detail rags, and microfiber towels for drying.

PC compounding/polishing will get rid of everything but you wanna make sure you don't create any more by poor washing or drying techniques!

Hope this helps
Old 04-02-2007, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

I would like to consider this link the Holy Grail of Detailing https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/657315-my-11-hour-detail-2002-firehawk.html I followed all the products and steps that Kman has written and got some GREAT results from my 01 black TA. Keeping my results will probably be even harder. Only use quality microfiber towels to dry the car and a microfiber wash mitt. Have 2 buckets of water one with car soap and another with plain water to rinse the mitt off so no dirt gets in the soap bucket. I have the absorber but havnt tried in on my car just yet. Good luck and I HATE black.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Just chiming in with a different way. If you go about it doing it by hand, make sure the rags you are using are either microfiber, or rags that are 100% cotton. Now I don't know if this is all true, but this is what I heard, I follow this principle and it has worked for me.

Most regular rags you'll find nowadays are "Made In China." There is certain quality of cotton however and I was told in China the quality of cotton they use isn't that great. I was told that the standards are a little different for each country/company. I think Indonesia is a no-no to use as well. So I have stuck specifically to 100% cotton made towels/rags that are made in the US. It has worked for me.

Also be careful when you use rags, that when they are hemmed up on the edges, that that part is cut off. You know what I'm talking about? That part thats hemmed up and is folded over and stitched very tightly. Its not too loose and sometimes the type of thread used to hem it up isn't so non-abrasive. The edges can scratch up your body, so either cut them off, or use a towel that is specifically made for wiping off/detailing cars.

I don't think there are any sponsors that specifically cater to detailing rags, but I would hope you would think to use them first. However, for the exact kind of rags I like to use (with the safe edges and microfiber to boot) I would encourage you to PM me, I'll be glad to tell you a great place!
Old 04-03-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Zaino's web site has some links to the type of towels he uses.

www.zaino.com
Old 04-03-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

also maybe consider using the 2 bucket wash method(one with soap and one with just clean water), it helped me out with the swirling a bit
Old 04-03-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian2006
It's also possible you are using an old/dirty/cloth rag to wash and or dry? I use microfiber everything. Microfiber wash mits, microfiber detail rags, and microfiber towels for drying.

PC compounding/polishing will get rid of everything but you wanna make sure you don't create any more by poor washing or drying techniques!

Hope this helps

wow you really changed your avatar fast. he did suck last night though...

anyways, get microfiber and porter cable.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

also, when you wash your car with a good microfiber towel try to only go one direction (i.e. up and down on the whole hood or left to right on the whole hood). i have noticed that that reduces swirls during wash.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

A few washing and drying tips:

- Use a Good Car shampoo, with the proper water to soap ratio
- Use the two bucket method, washing top to bottom
- Use a good quality chenile or lambs wool wash mitt. I am not a fan of microfiber mitts or sponges .. they are more lickely to cause scratches.
- rinse well, then use the hose with no nozzle to sheet the water off the car
- use a leaf blower, then blot the wet spots dry with a good quality microfiber waffle weave towel. don't use a bath towel, an absorber or a chamois.

once clean .. clay, remove the swirls with a PC, then seal, then wax ..