Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Still can't get the adhesive off my fender (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still can't get the adhesive off my fender (pics)

I took my trim off a few weeks ago and the adhesive came off just fine on everything but the passenger fender. As soon as I pulled the trim, I could tell something was different. I had a tougher time pulling the trim off and the adhesive looked thicker. Goo Gone was no match for it... it did nothing but make it wet.

So today I tried the hair dryer method... still no luck. It took more of it off (and put another blister on my thumb) but it still left behind the layer of glue. What else can I try? This is ridiculous. It looks stupid. This is what it looks like now:

As you can see, I really need to buff my paint too. I'm just waiting for a nice day.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops...its in a can...spray or dab (comes in spray or liquid) that on there...wipe like crazy...then clean it w/mild soap & water...
Old 04-07-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

2 words Goof-Off.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

if none of those work im sure you could wetsand it with some really fine sandpaper
Old 04-07-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if this would work but its a try: I took off my blackbird stripes off and it left a adhesive residue on the hood. I used a claybar and it took it off, slowly.

If you wetsand it, be very careful!!!!!! I took off the firebird emblems off my 96 3.8L and had the same thing: adhesive residue. I tried wetsanding it and now I see a lot of scuff marks. Maybe I wasn't doing it right, I don't know. Just be careful!
Old 04-07-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got it off. I decided to inquire with my dad to see what he said. He gave me a can of CRC lubricant and said give it a try with a plastic razor blade. I soaked the hell out of the adhesive and with some time (about 20 minutes), I was able to get it off. I'm sure I missed something minor but when I go to polish my car with my PC, I figure it will get the rest off.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess you got it off, but for future reference 3M Adhesive Remover works like a charm.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea... 3M adhesive remover is the best on the market safe on paint when used properly i sure hope you got all of that crc off because ethat stuff will eat into the paint and ruin your paint... there is also a tool called the eraser wheel that is a rubber wheel that spins using air... when used properly works awsome but will burn through paint if not used right.... buff that thing up man looks real dull in that area... then post pics
Old 04-07-2007, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

wd-40 works well or try using creamy peanut butter, go figure, also for you people that may drive to cars shows , use wd-40 on the front end it will keep the bugs from getting stuck on will not harm paint.

Quick Reply: Still can't get the adhesive off my fender (pics)