Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

wax every week? disadvantes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wax every week? disadvantes?

hey guys. i wash my whip bout every two weeks. i live in an apartment so NO GARAGE for my baby. with the every 2 weeks i wash my car i wax it as well. heres my question: i'm thinking of washing her weekly, is that bad? and should i wax every week as well? and is waxing frequently bad? washing her weekly removes wax doesnt it? thanks guys...
Old 04-09-2007, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

nothing wrong with washn her every week. dont know about waxing every week though. had a buddy that workd at a car wash and he washed his every week some times more than once never had any problems. i think you can wax it every week if your only useing wax that isnt a cleaner or any thing abrasive.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Launching!

You should wash as frequently as you feel is needed. The important thing is that you should have good towels, car wash solution (wet or dry) and effective wiping methods.

You can wax as much as you like, but you will not need to wax the car weekly. What would be better for you to do is to use a (good) quick detailer on a weekly basis, and wax either monthly or twice a month (if you prefer to wax often). Wax that is allowed to dry properly will last a good amount of time, so it isn't necessary to apply it very often.

For the best care of your paint, after a period of 7-12 months, you should do a deep clean of the paint by polishing away all of your accumulated wax and eliminating any swirling in your paint, along with lifting stuck on contaminants and oxidation from your paint. After this big clean, you will re-start your regimen of washing the car and adding wax or a sealant.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you have good wax, it should stay on and stay clean if you hose it down a wipe off with a clean towel. Just dont use soap.

I'm in the same situation as you, and about once a week i just hose it down real good and wipe it with a towel. the dirt and stuff should come off and leave the wax there. I use Zymol wax. It's a bitch to wax with but it stays on real good.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
if you have good wax, it should stay on and stay clean if you hose it down a wipe off with a clean towel. Just dont use soap.

I'm in the same situation as you, and about once a week i just hose it down real good and wipe it with a towel. the dirt and stuff should come off and leave the wax there. I use Zymol wax. It's a bitch to wax with but it stays on real good.
You don't get swirls doing this?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PedroDePackas
If he doesn't then I am amazed
Old 04-09-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's just wrong
Old 04-09-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PedroDePackas
he must not have a black car
Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kevinclark09
he must not have a black car
Yeah no ****. Sometimes I think if I just look at my car in a manner that displeases it, it will swirl
Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Washing without soap (or a good dry wash)is one of the absolute worst things you could possibly do to your paint.

You need the lubricity that a good car soap provides to be able to remove the dirt from your paint without scratching.

there is nothing wrong with washing once a week, or even more often, as long as you use good techique, and high quality tools and chemicals. always use a good, high quality car shampoo, mixed to the proper ratio, good quality lambs wool wash mitts, the two bucket method, and grit guards for your buckets. Avoid washing in the sun, if at all possible, and use high quality waffle weave towels to dry, using a blotting, not a rubbing motion.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Launching!

You need the lubricity that a good car soap provides to be able to remove the dirt from your paint without scratching.

there is nothing wrong with washing once a week, or even more often, as long as you use good techique, and high quality tools and chemicals. always use a good, high quality car shampoo, mixed to the proper ratio, good quality lambs wool wash mitts, the two bucket method, and grit guards for your buckets. Avoid washing in the sun, if at all possible, and use high quality waffle weave towels to dry, using a blotting, not a rubbing motion.[/QUOTE]

i see... but unfortunately i live in an apartment and washing your car in the parking lot is prohibited. Therefore i have to go to the local do-it-yourself-carwash. I use the high pressure hose with the soap that comes with it is my technique bad? please help. thanks
another question: will soap wash the wax off? how many washes can wax hold for? thanks
Old 04-10-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Wash your car as much as you want but I wouldnt wax it every week or two, From what I read about waxing that it actually takes off a thin layer of the paint that is fadded and that is why your car is so "shinny" afterwards, I mean I usually do it everyone 1-2 months, but inbetween I use some spray detailer or something
Old 04-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Launching!

I've never gone to these car wash places but I imagine the soap they have there might be pretty harsh on your wax, I don't know maybe someone here can elaborate more on that. One possible option however might be to just take your own soap and bucket and use that. Use the pressure hose they have there to rinse off your car. As far as washing of your layer of wax, most quality waxes will hold up at least a month or two of regular washes. Again some soaps are stronger than others. For example I've read that Meg's NXT wash is pretty strong and might strip off a little wax. Meg's gold class shampoo on the other hand is perfectly safe on waxes, it's inexpensive and you can find it at you local retailer.

From what I read about waxing that it actually takes off a thin layer of the paint that is fadded and that is why your car is so "shinny" afterwards
Whoa, that's the first time I've heard that. I can't imagine even a claner wax removing much paint. Anyone else heard this before?

Last edited by PedroDePackas; 04-10-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

wash+Wax weekly, no problems here
Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Launching!

very informative. im learning here. i have a wash coming up this weekend so keep em coming guys...
Old 04-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Whoa, that's the first time I've heard that. I can't imagine even a claner wax removing much paint. Anyone else heard this before?[/QUOTE]

That is called polishing with an abrasive compound. A pure wax is non abrasive, and it (should'nt) won't remove any layers, dirt or otherwise, beneath it.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vipert/a
i see... but unfortunately i live in an apartment and washing your car in the parking lot is prohibited. Therefore i have to go to the local do-it-yourself-carwash. I use the high pressure hose with the soap that comes with it is my technique bad? please help. thanks
another question: will soap wash the wax off? how many washes can wax hold for? thanks
how do you know the guy before you didn't just finish scrubbing mud/oil off his truck with that same brush? I only use these places as a LAST RESORT.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vipert/a
Some soap will remove wax, depend on the type, and the mix ratio. ..

if the self serv is the only option you have, then talk to the operator of the place, and ask him if it is ok with him if you bucket wash, as long as you are paying him for his time .. most of them will allow you to do that, as long as they aren't very busy, and you are paying for the bay time..

for example .. if you get 5 minutes for $2.75 then ask him if you can bucket wash for 15 minutes for 20 bucks, or something like that.

if you do use the local self serv .. stay away from the foam brush, as they will usually cause problems.

as for how long a wax will last .. it depends on a lot of facotrs, and there is no correct answer to that question .. synthetic waxes and sealants will last longer than carnuaba based products..
Old 04-11-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Wash your car as much as you want but I wouldnt wax it every week or two, From what I read about waxing that it actually takes off a thin layer of the paint that is fadded and that is why your car is so "shinny" afterwards, I mean I usually do it everyone 1-2 months, but inbetween I use some spray detailer or something

all depends on what type of "wax" you are using ..

there are several sealants that hev no cleaners in them, and are therefore safe to use as often as you want.. although that kind of defeats the purpose of using a sealant

any pure carnuaba wax is also safe to use as often a you wish, although monthly is usually suffecient.

As for other waxes removing paint.. something mild, like Mother's or Meg's cleaner wax, or NXT is not going to damage your paint, and you could wax weekly without issues..

all that said, for most people, anything more than monthly is pure overkill... or pure OCD, depending on your viewpoint.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gun4hire
how do you know the guy before you didn't just finish scrubbing mud/oil off his truck with that same brush? I only use these places as a LAST RESORT.
i always bring my wash bucket with me to those places with my microfiber mitt..... never use the brush

Quick Reply: wax every week? disadvantes?