Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The soap they use at car washes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The soap they use at car washes...

I went by the do-it-yourself car wash yesterday and was surprised it only took me about 5 minutes in and out. I rolled in and soaked the car down then sprayed it down with soap using the spray gun they had. Spent some time with a terry clothed sponge and then sprayed the car off with the "spot-free" option. I guess that was filtered water or something because when I was done driving the car I stepped out and noticed the car was wayyyy cleaner than I've ever gotten it at home. I didn't even dry the car. Just took it out for a spin and let the wind do the work. I can't even get it that clean when I towel-dry it! There were pretty much zero water spots. Anyways, is that soap they use at those car washes safe to use on our cars? I mean, my car looks abnormally clean!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm well if it looks better than just keep going up there
Old 04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're doing something wrong at home if the carwash gets your car cleaner than you do.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Launching!

The ones down here recycle the damn soap and rinse water so I'd never abuse my car like that
Old 04-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I use Mr. Clean Auto Dry at home and it works amazing.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

yea i love those places..just dont know what they use. Just keep going up there 5 bucks will give you like 13 min.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

That spot free rinse stuff is awesome. Spray it down with that, take it out on the highway for a 100mph romp, get off the next exit and dry off a couple of spots. Amazing!!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea that works pretty good , be cautious though the high pressure sprayers can chip your paint.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AronZ28
That spot free rinse stuff is awesome. Spray it down with that, take it out on the highway for a 100mph romp, get off the next exit and dry off a couple of spots. Amazing!!
i find that method works wonders for everything other than a black car. my black car will have streaks beyond belief if i did that, whereas my blue car will look in the 9s.

also, i don;t know if this has happened to anyone else, but it seems like every do-it-yourself place i go to, the soap always leaves streak marks when it dries...
Old 04-11-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this one place i used a DIY for the first time on my 65 impala and the soap left NASTY strips. it looked like a zebra. i have the mr clean but i dont have the filters. i need to get some cuss i'm not really feeling the hand drying anymore lol
Old 04-13-2007, 02:34 PM

The soap used usually depends on what provider the car wash uses. We use a Zep product where I work, and it works pretty well. We can't use any metal in the storage vats for it, and have to water it down to a 4000:1 water to detergent ratio or it eats right through metal (Went through a 3/4" stainless pipe in a little under 3 days).

Once it's diluted though, it works great. Some places just use a really horrendous soap, and some just don't mix it right. If the chemicals are mixed properly, and the machinery is maintained correctly, you should never have any issues with a do-it-yourself place. Then again, not many places take pride in their equipment performing correctly for people who actually care what their car looks like.

Quick Reply: The soap they use at car washes...