Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Didnt we have a Porter Cable sticky? Regardless, I have one on the way. Dos & Donts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Didnt we have a Porter Cable sticky? Regardless, I have one on the way. Dos & Donts?

I got in on the Tropicare Porter Cable deal. Also have some Zaino swirl cutter as well. I want to get the paint on the GTO as close to flawless as possible, the paint on my old Trans Am that my buddy bought from me swirl free, and want to help some local friends get the most out of their cars as well. Cars will obviously be washed and clayed before PC treatment but once I get into using the PC what are some dos and donts, what do I need to know? Basic RPM or speed settings to begin with and how slower or faster speeds effect the buffers results?

I have two orange Lake County pads, a blue Lake Co pad, and a white Lake Co pad on the way along with the PC for reference. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

a PC sticky will be nice, this summer i am going to give my car the full treatment, PC and Zaino, any more info would be appreciated
Old 04-12-2007, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This is the one I remember.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/263061-porter-cable-dual-action-polisher-faq.html
Old 04-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

That is the one from the Appearance "Hall of Fame" Sticky.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a few quick notes since I use near identical pads in my detailing work. I don't know about the Zaino swirl cutter, but I use all Tropi-care products and these are the speeds I use.

Swirl Cutter w/ Organge pad - speed 5 to apply, use 6 if extra difficult spot isn't working too well for you. Keep a spray bottle handy and keep it lubricated as you do this. Remove swirl cutter w/ Microfiber towel.

Polish - Apply w/ blue pad on speed 4. Remove w/ bonnet wrapped over Orange or Yellow pad on speed 5.

The most major don't I learned early on was NEVER turn the PC on or off unless it is already touching the car. The bonnets can go REALLY far if you accidentally turn on the PC before its on the car. You would think this would be common sense, but I have gotten many complaints from people getting polish or swirl cutter thrown everywhere because they didn't put the machine to the paint before turning it on or off.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Be on the lookout for a write-up on my experiences using the PC with Tropi-Care products.

This came yesterday:

-Mike
Old 04-12-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool ..

I think you will like the Tropi-care, Mike.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying it out, "Brian".

The BCoD is in the shop, getting a new rearend installed. But I'm going to use my wife's '05 Equinox as my guinea pig. I don't think there's any wax left on it, as water neither beads nor sheets on it anymore. I might also do my Accord.

-"Fred"

Originally Posted by Gipraw
cool ..

I think you will like the Tropi-care, Mike.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Make sure you don't apply too much pressure especially at high speeds (6). The machine will bog down and with the increased speed it could break the product down too quickly.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Porter Cable safety and tip sheet

The following is a basic guideline for using the Porter Cable buffer. We include this sheet into every Porter Cable buffer kit shipped.

"Tropi-Care Car Care Products recommends the following techniques, tips and safety precautions when using the Porter Cable buffer and its accessories:

Please familiarize yourself with the factory instructions of the buffer. We have included a 6” counterweight which may now replace the 5” counterweight for use with 6” and larger Lake Country buffer pads included in your kit. This optional weight can be installed to minimize or eliminate any excessive vibration when using these pads.

(1) Always turn the buffer on and off with the pad resting on the surface, this will prevent the foam pad from flying off, and product from slinging.

(2) DO NOT place un-needed pressure on the machine while working. Let the machine do its job. If you are not getting the results you desire, change your technique by adjusting the speed setting or shift to a different grade of foam pad or a more appropriate chemical.

(3) Be sure to get the foam pad wet prior to use, and periodically re-wet the pad during use; this will help to spread the product evenly, and keep the pad from loading up.

(4) Try to keep the buffer flat and level during use, you want as much of the pad in contact with the surface as possible. Try to avoid using the edge of the pad, or tilting the machine at extreme angles to reach a tight area.

(5) Periodically check the backing plate for wear or damage. Remove the backing plate completely and check for any signs of wear. Do not over tighten the backing plate when attaching it to the buffer, and be sure to use the washer supplied with the buffer.

(6) When working with a product like the Swirl Cutter, with the machine on setting #5 to 6, work in a slow and smooth motion (rate of 1”/second); this will allow the buffer, foam pad and products to do their job. Use only enough product for the area, work the product until it disappears or only a small amount of product residue is left, this may take several passes with the buffer in order for the product to work properly.

(7) When applying TC-3xP Polish/Sealant, a thin coat of polish is all you need, if you see the polish is too thick, make another pass over the area with the buffer. Make sure you allow the polish time to cure properly, or you are wasting time and product. The proper speed setting to apply polish is #4.

(8) When the polish has cured and you are ready to remove it, use a clean microfiber bonnet over an Orange or Yellow Foam pad. Set the buffer on #5 and work in a smooth motion over each panel until all is removed. It may take several passes over the same area to remove the excess polish and reach the desired depth, gloss and clarity. If there is polish in a hard to reach area, don’t force the buffer to try and remove it, come back later with a microfiber towel and touch up the areas that the buffer couldn’t reach.

(9) The Porter Cable buffer is a tough and solid piece of equipment, but don’t abuse it either. Try to keep from dropping it, and when storing the unit, it should be set upside down, with the backing plate up. Do not let it rest on its side with the backing plate acting as a support; this could cause the plate to warp.

(10) Try to keep the buffer clean, wipe it down with a dry towel after each use, this will ensure its peak performance for years to come.

(11) Please refer to your Porter Cable owner’s manual regarding limited liability coverage.

These are just a few basic tips.

If you have a specific question about the proper use of the Porter Cable buffer, any of its accessories, or any Tropi-Care products please don’t hesitate to contact Tropi-Care at steve@tropi-care.com or call toll-free at (866)341-0050."

Quick Reply: Didnt we have a Porter Cable sticky? Regardless, I have one on the way. Dos & Donts?