Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Should I remove the door molding?
Yes, get rid of it.
83.05%
No, leave it.
16.95%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

debating about doing the !molding on my z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default debating about doing the !molding on my z28

I'm somewhat undecided about the whole !molding thing, sometimes it seems to look really nice, and clean the car up well, but other times it doesn't seem like a big deal at all. My car needs something, ANYTHING right now, just feeling kind of "blah" about it, so I'm thinking about taking the molding off over the weekend.

The car isn't daily driven. When I do use it, it is in a parking lot and it's hard to avoid other cars. My point is, I don't know how concerned I can really be about door dings. Anyways, another up for taking it off, is that my molding paint is a little chipped in places. Don't know why, bought the car this way.

Anyways here are some pics of the car as it sits now (somewhat dirty, thanks to the sand and dirt still on the roads from winter!), sorry if they're huge. Let me know what you have to suggest, thanks.

Last edited by 99 LS1; 04-12-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont ask, do it.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a pewter 99 and removed it. Looks much cleaner without it. It was the first appearance mod I did on my 98 I just bought.
Just get the hottest blowing hairdryer you can find and heat it up real good, should pull right off. Then use it and your thumbs to roll off the old adhesive. Once it's gone, googone the side getting all the old residue off and then use rubbing alcohol to get that off. Then use a quickwax or quick detailer over that. Should work well, but takes a couple hours to do.

As far as other budget appearance stuff, you could paint the spokes of the rims black, remove the badges and eventually get new ones if you want, cut the springs 1/2 a coil or so to lower it a bit, do the whistler mod to the headlights, buy a tailpanel off of a black car, trade someone their lt1 tail lights for yours, etc.

Last edited by Photochop; 04-12-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you just say cut your coils??? :GTFO:
Old 04-12-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02EBZO6
I had a pewter 99 and removed it. Looks much cleaner without it. It was the first appearance mod I did on my 98 I just bought.
Just get the hottest blowing hairdryer you can find and heat it up real good, should pull right off. Then use it and your thumbs to roll off the old adhesive. Once it's gone, googone the side getting all the old residue off and then use rubbing alcohol to get that off. Then use a quickwax or quick detailer over that. Should work well, but takes a couple hours to do.

As far as other budget appearance stuff, you could paint the spokes of the rims black, remove the badges and eventually get new ones if you want, cut the springs 1/2 a coil or so to lower it a bit, do the whistler mod to the headlights, buy a tailpanel off of a black car, trade someone their lt1 tail lights for yours, etc.
Really does look cleaner, but something still has be if-y about it, not sure what.

I'm gonna leave the wheels as they are, and I'm not really looking for new ones at the moment. Espically to paint them myself, don't think I'd try it! I'm trying to find a black rear panel (if not, I'm going to get it painted, I seriously can't do that stuff myself) and am looking for a pair of stock headlights, so I can try the whistler mod and not worry about screwing up the only ones I have, unless I could find a really really idiot-proof tutorial, I'm not touching them. I'm getting clear corners soon, and as for the lt1 tail lights, not sure if I like them. And the badges, eh I'll leave them but I was considering debadging the car. Trying to save for some more performance parts so I'm leaning towards the freebie appearance stuff right now, but we'll see what happens. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Lose the molding and emblems. Looks MUCH cleaner!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it were me.. I'd smoke the corners.. do the Whistler mod, Berger style panel, !moulding, keep the badges and get an SLP Bowtie grille.

My advice.. dont be scared to do the mods yourself. Especially if its not your DD.. go for it. Whats the worst that can happen?? Have to buy a replacement? Used parts are getting easier to find for these cars every day.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Aren't the doors fiberglass anyway? Why wory about dings. Most car and SUV doors sit up a little higher, they don't hit the molding anyway. I'm planning on taking mine off soon.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Make it disappear.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lose the moldings and the badges
Old 04-12-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do it!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Think it would be safe to do on a '96? My drivers door looks bad as it is, because of door dings above and below the molding, but I don't want to mess up the pass. side paint.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Corvettekid82
If it were me.. I'd smoke the corners.. do the Whistler mod, Berger style panel, !moulding, keep the badges and get an SLP Bowtie grille.

My advice.. dont be scared to do the mods yourself. Especially if its not your DD.. go for it. Whats the worst that can happen?? Have to buy a replacement? Used parts are getting easier to find for these cars every day.
Thanks for all the input, think I'm going to try and take it off today.

That's true about trying it myself, I guess it's worth a shot. I just like to have the replacement on hand in case I do screw up, that way it can't turn into a project that lasts 2 months when it should have been 2 days! I'm still undecided about the grill too, I need to keep my plate and like the SLP one, but going by the whole "match your wheels to the grill" thing, I just don't want like 4 different colors going on. One thing at a time.

Quick question about taking off the molding though, do you need to use fishing line to take it off? I was looking at it before and not even pushing hard, the last piece of it by the rear wheel slides a little. I'll search for it, but just wondering if someone had last minute tips. There shouldn't be a change in the paint, right, like fading?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

You arent gonna take it off today your a lier Angie. I think your car will look alot better without it on.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Shut up Nate I'll do it tomorrow or on the weekend. I'm such a busy person you have no idea. It IS coming off though.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

do it man! I wish I could, but my car was repainted, and as I started to pull the molding off, the paint beneath it came off.....
Old 04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ That sucks...hate when you notice those things when it's too late! My car hasnt been repainted but I guess we'll find out the end result in a couple. Off topic but I like your painted grill
Old 04-12-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks man! I figured since I have a stock ss hood and spoiler, I needed to do something that not a lot of people do........
Old 04-12-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

I only did it because mine was had a huge mashed up piece from when I hit something. Otherwise, I would have left it on to offer a little protection in parking lots, since I don't think it looks all that different.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should just delete the moldings and maybe go with some nice badges or overlays. i just repainted my Z28 and i deleted the moldings and badges while i did it. I'm leaving the moldings off and am changing to '70-'72 style Z28 badges.