Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The best way, the safe way.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best way, the safe way.....

I have searched, and searched and have found nothing that answers what i'm looking for..

Basically i'm looking for the best/recommended way of polishing, and waxing your car more than twice a month safely, and efficiently. So heres a little break down of some of the many questions I have on this issue:

- What is the difference between polish and wax? do I need them both to protect, and restore my paint?

- Polish vs wax; what goes on first? and are they both safe to use simulatiously every weekend without harming the paint?

- Whats some of the preferred prep work involved in pulling a sufficient job, other than washing your car of course. Should I use a clay bar everytime?

- Finally, as far as a daily driver goes, would washing your car every other day affect the life of your paint?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I have been having a hard time deciphering some of the information I have been reading out of some of these threads. I realize that most of the information brought forth are all opinion based, but perhaps I can find some of the best "majority" opinions. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

The terms are sometimes interchanged, but in general:

- a polish is an abrasive and/or cleaner product used to remove swirls, oxidation, clean & brighten paint, etc.

- a wax is many times a carnauba based product used to protect the paint - they are usually short-lived (4-8 weeks)

- a sealant is a synthetic polymer product used to protect the paint - they generally have better durability than a wax

__________________________________________________ ___

A full detail will usually consist of:

-thorough wash
-claybar to remove embedded contamination
-polish
-seal and/or wax

On a daily driver, claying two times a year is probably good. With proper washing, drying, and waxing techniques and supplies, polishing would be fine once or twice a year. You can wash as often as you like, as long as you're doing it correctly.

This method seems over-whelming at first, but it's really not. It will provide one of the safest ways of routine care.

Supplies:

-car wash soap with high lubricity
-high quality sheepskin wash mitts
-foam gun (optional)
-2 buckets with grit guards for paint
-1 bucket and mitt for wheels
-high quality microfiber towels
-210+ mph electric leaf blower
-high quality sealant and/or wax
-quick detailer

Method:

-Wash wheels/tires/wells first to prevent spotting on paint and glass

-Don't use the same mitt or bucket for wheels that you use on your paint. The brake dust, etc. from your wheels will cause scratches and swirls in your paint.

-Using foam gun, cover vehicle in a thick layer of foam (optional)

-Use two buckets for washing paint. One with a soapy mixture, the other with plain water to rinse the mitt between panels.

-Never use circular motions. Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.

-When vehicle is fully cleaned, allow a slow, steady stream of water to flow over each panel...sheeting the majority of the water off

-Use the leaf blower to blow all water from flat surfaces, mirrors, lights, etc.

-Remove any remaining water with a waffle weave drying towel and detail spray

*The less you touch the paint, the less chance of marring*

Keeping a good sealant and/or wax on the paint will assist in cleaning and reduce chances of marring.

(There's not much variation in opinion on these things).
Old 04-17-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

you dont need to wash your car that much, a good wash, claybar, wax and polish will do you good for awhile.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys! How many times a month would be considered safe on the paint using the polish/wax method? Also, when is the best time to use the detailing spray? anytime?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I gotta throw in the use of my favorite tool, the car duster. You can buy a fancy one with a wooden handle or a cheapie for $7 with a plastic handle but they do the same thing: dust the car between washings keeping the finish clean. Follow up with a quick detailer/gloss enhancer misting & wipe down with mircofiber towel. You won't need to wash as much, your car will stay cleaner between washes, and your finish will be less likely to be scratched. Check out www.autopia.org for a ton more good washing/detailing products and practices.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you use the steps Zane outlined above, and take your time to do it correctly .. you can wash your vehicle as often as needed.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Unlimited
How many times a month would be considered safe on the paint using the polish/wax method? Also, when is the best time to use the detailing spray? anytime?
This was answered above...polish once or twice a year. Wax as often as needed (when beading, slickness, etc. diminish). The particular wax and conditions will determine a specific time period. I recommend using the detail spray only after washing.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

IDK what you guys have heard, but some professional detailers around here said NO CAR DUSTER! Unless you wash the duster between every use, the dust the brush picks up will be rubbed on your finish causing small scratches and swirls the next time you use it.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1QWKT/A
IDK what you guys have heard, but some professional detailers around here said NO CAR DUSTER! Unless you wash the duster between every use, the dust the brush picks up will be rubbed on your finish causing small scratches and swirls the next time you use it.
That's not true. If you use a car duster properly, you're just lightly dragging it across the surface. No way it could cause scratches & swirls. Unless you can find some posts backing that up, I'm calling BS. They demonstrate using a car duster in between washing on www.autopia.org and they are very intense about detailing processes over there, even going so far as to recommend washing your wheels BEFORE your car, and having two buckets, one to wash, one to rinse your wash mitt.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shudog
That's not true. If you use a car duster properly, you're just lightly dragging it across the surface. No way it could cause scratches & swirls. Unless you can find some posts backing that up, I'm calling BS. They demonstrate using a car duster in between washing on www.autopia.org and they are very intense about detailing processes over there, even going so far as to recommend washing your wheels BEFORE your car, and having two buckets, one to wash, one to rinse your wash mitt.

Actually, part of it is true .. you can scratch your car with a duster ..

no need to clean the duster after every use, though ..

the key is to only allow the duster to slightly touch your paint.. if you watch the way most people use them, they allow the entire wieght of the duster to ride along on the paint while they are using it .. and that definately can cause scratches ..

I know, because people pay me to remove them
Old 04-25-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

I rarely use my duster, only on a really clean car(good coat of wax on it) with minimal dust on it. When I do use it I practicaly hover it above the paint. No swirls that I can tell, but my car is pewter and can hide alot.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A person would have to be a total ******* to damage their paint with a car duster, and that person likely had bad washing/drying/waxing practices also.

Who uses a car duster in a "swirling motion" either?