Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

help! clear coat scratched really bad!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! clear coat scratched really bad!

I bought some Meguairs Quik Detailer. I used it just as the directions say to, but it completly destroyed my clearcoat. Its so swirled and scratched I could cry. I just got anew paint job in December. I bought some Turtle wax rubbing compound to try to rid the scratches. It helped some, but its still tons of swirls. Should i try the rubbing compound with an orbital buffer? what product is good fro getting scratches out? TIA
Old 05-16-2007, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

It wasn't the detailer.
It was the towel you used.
Man, I know how you feel, that blows.
Hopefully someone can chime in here in a sec.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you don't know what you are doing so maybe putting a motorized machine to your car isn't a good idea. Use google to find the correct methods
Old 05-16-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tudds
Sounds like you don't know what you are doing so maybe putting a motorized machine to your car isn't a good idea. Use google to find the correct methods
Anyway you can NOT be a total dick to the guy? Next time you need help remind me to flame you, kthnxbye
Old 05-16-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlmondRocca
I bought some Meguairs Quik Detailer. I used it just as the directions say to, but it completly destroyed my clearcoat. Its so swirled and scratched I could cry. I just got anew paint job in December. I bought some Turtle wax rubbing compound to try to rid the scratches. It helped some, but its still tons of swirls. Should i try the rubbing compound with an orbital buffer? what product is good fro getting scratches out? TIA
I would take it to a professional detailer to get it buffed out. Some car washes have pretty decent buff packages. If all else fails take it to the shop where you got it painted, I'm sure they can buff it out for a small charge.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Scammer Alert!

ya whenever wipin off wax/quick detailer sprays etc. you always wanna use a clean ,microfiber towel, and in some cases that will even leave tiny scratches, a body shop/detailer with rubbing compound and a buffer could take that out no problem, i paint cars for a living, so i have gone through that a couple time on fresh paint jobs, the rubbing compound generally hasan aggressive grit in it to rid paint of scratches, and the buffer heats up the clear making it shine, this is compounding and buffing 101, goodluck ive been there before its not a big deal
Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

sounds like it was caused by using the wrong type of rag, or the car was too dirty to use a quick detailer. either way the damage is done.

i would suggest finding a real good professional detailer to take care of it. it sould polish right out.

goodluck!!
Old 05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

AlmondRocca: Post some pictures, if possible, so we can get an idea what sort of damage we're talking about. It's likely nothing a good detailer can't fix, unless you applied the detailing spray with 60 grit sandpaper.

You didn't apply the detailing spray with 60 grit sandpaper, did you?

-Mike
Old 05-17-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that the Turtle Wax compound is pretty aggressive as well. There are some great products available that will help you buff them our yourself, but if this is a one time thing, it might be a large investment for you.
If you want to do it yourself, you would need a Porter Cable 7424, some good foam pads, and some mild polishing compounds like Menzerna or Tropicare.
You should defintely invest in a good set of microfiber towels. You can get a good starter kit for about $40 that contains a mitt, drying towel, polishing clothes, and even glass and leather clothes.
Don't sweat the swirl marks, you will learn how to take those out with very little effort.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Post some pics, and we can guide you down the correct road.

don't use the turtle wax compounds .. there are hundreds of products onthe market that are bette than those.

Let us see where you are, and we will give you some guidance ..

Where are you located? Maybe you are near one of us ..
Old 05-17-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Pics would be good here.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

One possible solution?!?!
ZAINO Z5!!!! Awesome product. Will take out surface scratches/swirl marks with a single application. Doesn't need to be applied too hard to the car. Just make sure it is left on the car for at least 30 minutes and NOT IN SUNLIGHT!!!
BE SURE YOU ORDER MICROFIBER BUFFING TOWELS to take/buff the polish off.
This makes A HUGE difference. And will not scratch your paint.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tones2SS
One possible solution?!?!
ZAINO Z5!!!! Awesome product. Will take out surface scratches/swirl marks with a single application. Doesn't need to be applied too hard to the car. Just make sure it is left on the car for at least 30 minutes and NOT IN SUNLIGHT!!!
BE SURE YOU ORDER MICROFIBER BUFFING TOWELS to take/buff the polish off.
This makes A HUGE difference. And will not scratch your paint.
GOOD LUCK!!!
I like Z5, but "will take out surface scratches/swirl marks with a single application" is completely false. Z5 is loaded with fillers, which fill in the scratches and swirls, rather than removing them. Once it wears off, they're back. I still say the best solution is an appropriately abrasive polish, to REMOVE the imperfections. Then he can use Z5 as a glaze and top it with Z2. Or any other combination of sealants and/or waxes.

-Mike
Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

QD's are not waterless washes. Get a PC from Tropicare and some good quality 3m compound and swirl cutter.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

phantomzero for president
Old 05-21-2007, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

I did use a microfiber rag. It said it was at least. I dunno. I bought some Eagle One Nanowax, and it seems to at least cover up the swirls. I waxed it today, so we'll see how long it lasts. Thanks for all the input yall.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Say Just Invest In That TropiCare Package They Have, Looks Like Everyone Really Likes It....
Old 05-21-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Stop. Put the rubbing compound down. Take it to a GOOD detail shop, have them buff it. I could sit here and explain to you how to buff it if you want but it's gonna take a while so PM me if you think you want to give it a shot. But still, I would rather see you take it to a place that has experience.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Another thing to consider is that you should get yourself a California Car Duster or something the same to use before you use your detailing spray.

There is always lots of dust and even sand can be on your paint so you want to remove all the loose and abrasive stuff before detailing with a spray and cloth.

The combo of a good duster and detailer can make your car look great -- I do it all the time and don't get paint damage on my Black SS.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by beaSSt
Another thing to consider is that you should get yourself a California Car Duster or something the same to use before you use your detailing spray.

There is always lots of dust and even sand can be on your paint so you want to remove all the loose and abrasive stuff before detailing with a spray and cloth.

The combo of a good duster and detailer can make your car look great -- I do it all the time and don't get paint damage on my Black SS.
If you do choose to go the Cali Car Duster route, make sure it has a few uses in or it will streak. An MF towel is more than sufficient to dust your car, however.

Quick Reply: help! clear coat scratched really bad!