Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting Side Markers.... Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting Side Markers.... Trans Am

First of all does anyone have any pics of a RED trans am where they painted their side markers?

Secondly, how do you go about doing this? i got a spare set to use/ my OEM ones i am not going to use incase i mess them up. How many coats of the VHT do you need? Is it necessary to clear coat them too?

Any helpful tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Old 05-21-2007, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just washed mine really good with soap & water. Then hit them with VHT until I felt they were dark enough. I also painted them outside in the sun so I could see how much light was comin thru. It's a good way to keep from getting them too dark.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres some picss of my car

Old 05-21-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sand them smooth before application to rid yourself of the DOT lettering. Looks much better IMO. Then just keep adding coats till you like the darkness and when finished, clear them bad boys, buff em out and enjoy a job well done.

Jason
Old 05-21-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

did you guys sand them at all to make the VHT stick better? Also, the where did you guys get the VHT? I think autzone carries it, but i always see that everyone buys it from www.summitracing.com. Did you all clear them too?

1 more thing, does anyone have any night shots? When you VHT'd the side markers, does the light still shine threw?

thanks again
Old 05-21-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Light still shines through fine (obviously not AS bright but still fine) and I made mine quite dark. Sand them down with very fine sand paper to get the lettering off and helps the VHT stick well. Summit is the best place, they even sent me a free hat when I ordered And clear is a very good idea. Just pick it up at any auto store and spray a few coats on after the VHT is done. It will prob be blurry at first but don't worry that is how it should be and will clear as it dries. You can also wet sand then buff to get a mirror-like finish which is what I did and couldn't be happier with my results. Biggest piece of advice is take your time and follow all the steps and drying times.

Jason
Old 05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by F-117HWK
Light still shines through fine (obviously not AS bright but still fine) and I made mine quite dark. Sand them down with very fine sand paper to get the lettering off and helps the VHT stick well. Summit is the best place, they even sent me a free hat when I ordered And clear is a very good idea. Just pick it up at any auto store and spray a few coats on after the VHT is done. It will prob be blurry at first but don't worry that is how it should be and will clear as it dries. You can also wet sand then buff to get a mirror-like finish which is what I did and couldn't be happier with my results. Biggest piece of advice is take your time and follow all the steps and drying times.

Jason

Did you use your stock bulbs after you painted them? Also do you have any night shots? How many coats did you apply of both the VHT and Clear? How many cans do you recommend to order?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I painted mine a couple weeks ago. I sanded them down to get the numbering off and get them smooth then I just painted them. It took a day to let them dry and stuff. I used the stock bulbs.

1 can of VHT is plenty same with the clear. I did 3 coats of VHT and 2 coats of clear and gave them 6 hours to dry.

Don't have any night shots.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lomaximumta

I painted mine a couple weeks ago. I sanded them down to get the numbering off and get them smooth then I just painted them. It took a day to let them dry and stuff. I used the stock bulbs.

1 can of VHT is plenty same with the clear. I did 3 coats of VHT and 2 coats of clear and gave them 6 hours to dry.

Don't have any night shots.

Thanks alot
Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2 coats did mine fine.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Did you use your stock bulbs after you painted them? Also do you have any night shots? How many coats did you apply of both the VHT and Clear? How many cans do you recommend to order?

Thanks
Stock bulbs, wish I had pics but I havent gotten around to taking any in awhile casue I am waiting on paint for the hood, tint and new wheels. It was at LEAST 2 coats of VHT but prob close to 5 light coats as my T/A is black and I wanted them DARK. Clear was 2 or 3 coats. Im pretty sure I only ordered 1 can but I will check for certain when I get home from work.

Jason
Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Looks awesome, definetly need to do it to mine.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by F-117HWK
Stock bulbs, wish I had pics but I havent gotten around to taking any in awhile casue I am waiting on paint for the hood, tint and new wheels. It was at LEAST 2 coats of VHT but prob close to 5 light coats as my T/A is black and I wanted them DARK. Clear was 2 or 3 coats. Im pretty sure I only ordered 1 can but I will check for certain when I get home from work.

Jason

sweet! Again thanks for the info. i will use prolly a 2000 grit sandpaper for the DOT letters. Or do you recommend something a little more abrasive? Cool going to order the VHT nite shade now. and pick up some clear tomorrow
Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

I used fairly gritty paper to get them off initially until there was almost nothing left (you really have to sand for awhile if you don't go super gritty but its worth it so you don't accidentally get gouges in the soft plastic around the lettering) then switched to fine paper to get it all the way down then sanded the entire thing evenly, then started the application. Also once i cleared I did a little wet sanding with the finest grain sandpaper i could get at the auto store which was actually specifically for wet sanding which worked great. And yes it was only 1 can of VHT and 1 can of clear coat.

Jason
Old 05-22-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

wow, bought the VHT from summit. it was 12.95. Ok not a problem. then when i went to check out, they wanted 10.95 in handling b/c it is flamable or something....

ohh well. paiting here i come....
Old 05-22-2007, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

I'm liking this more and more, think I'll do my two ASAP.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:27 AM
Launching!

Wheres my shirt i feel another job coming soon.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I sanded the lettering off mine side markers then sprayed them with 3 or 4 coats of vht. I didn't use any clear though and they are holding up just fine. Maybe I'll redo them sometime.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 6spd97ta
Wheres my shirt i feel another job coming soon.

ahahah LOL.... Go to bed .. i can do this one
Old 05-23-2007, 06:52 AM
TECH Regular

Yea the shipping was ridiculous but the price for me was around $21 so it sounds about right. Well worth it though

Jason

Quick Reply: Painting Side Markers.... Trans Am