Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Who knows how to remove taillights on TA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who knows how to remove taillights on TA?

Just like the thread title states- I did some seaching and didnt come up with anything. How do you remove the stock honeycomb tail lights on a TA?? I got some LED's for my reverse lights and I dont know how to get the lights off. Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EvilBLK02TA
Just like the thread title states- I did some seaching and didnt come up with anything. How do you remove the stock honeycomb tail lights on a TA?? I got some LED's for my reverse lights and I dont know how to get the lights off. Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance.
pop the trunk, pull the carpet that goes up the back of the trunk off, and you will see plastic screws that you can turn by hand. Should only be a 2 min job
Old 05-23-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Open hatch, remove cargo hatch cover, remove both left and right side plastic panels that house your hatch speakers, remove the carpeting from the rear face of the hatch, you'll then see numerous plastic wing nuts that hold both the center filler panel and the tailight housings in. You need to remove the center filler panel first, then you will be able to remove the tailights by removing those wing nuts. I think there is also a small 10mm nut that needs to be removed on the outermost corners of each TL housing - closest to fenders.

When replacing - install both TL first, but leave tailight housing wing nuts loose. Then install center filler panel and tighten it down, then align TL housings so gap is even all way around and tighten their wing nuts/bolt.

Replace carpeting and plastic panels - done!

-Jay-

Last edited by 1QUIKWS6; 05-23-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome!!! Ill give it try tonight. Thanks Guys, Much apprieciated!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Open hatch, remove cargo hatch cover, remove both left and right side plastic panels that house your hatch speakers, remove the carpeting from the rear face of the hatch, you'll then see numerous plastic wing nuts that hold both the center filler panel and the tailight housings in. You need to remove the center filler panel first, then you will be able to remove the tailights by removing those wing nuts. I think there is also a small 10mm nut that needs to be removed on the outermost corners of each TL housing - closest to fenders.

When replacing - install both TL first, but leave tailight housing wing nuts loose. Then install center filler panel and tighten it down, then align TL housings so gap is even all way around and tighten their wing nuts/bolt.

Replace carpeting and plastic panels - done!

-Jay-
I think you have the order backwards.
* The center filler panel has a lip on either side behind the taillights so it is removed after the taillights and to goes back on before the taillights. If I remember correctly, the inner two most wing nuts from each taillight also hold on the center filler panel.
* There are no extra nuts/bolts. Only the large plastic wing nuts.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Absolutely correct - I typed the opposite of what I was thinking. Xtra nut I was thinking of must be on my Grand Am...
Old 05-23-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a pry bar...... j/k! I couldn't resist!
Old 05-24-2007, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

yeah, the tail lights come of first, then the filler panel. 4 or 5 wingnuts on both sides and unplug the lights and thats it. it's real easy
Old 05-24-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

,,then,,when you go to put it back together,,,be very careful with the plastic wing nuts,,they strip out very easy. If you encounter this issue, go to your local hardware store and buy some U shaped machine screw nuts....they do not look like nuts but rather black flat folded lookin piece of metal, with a hole in it. The size is 1/4-20. i ran into this problem when i installed my amp rack. I've heard some of people using wood with a smaller hole drilled in it, then threading it on to the bolt,,,,,i chose the other method for acleaner look,,,under my carpet.

Quick Reply: Who knows how to remove taillights on TA?