Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone else get the "sell the car" bug after completing mods?

Old 05-24-2007, 05:07 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone else get the "sell the car" bug after completing mods?

Seems like everytime I get a car pretty much "finished" (modded the way I saw it in my mind since the day I bought it even though it was completely stock) I start getting restless and think about selling it...

One look at my FQuick page will show my history. My car now has a finished interior, finished supsension, finished exhaust and will soon have a finished exterior when I paint the hood and install the cowl stripes and emblems.

As this approaches, I find myself looking at C5's on ebay and autotrader with a frightening frequency

Is it just me or do any of you guys end up doing the same thing?
Old 05-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always think about selling my car for a c5 but often wonder if I would want that extra payment...having fun modding and all, sometimes you just want a new peice of paper to draw on...
Old 05-24-2007, 06:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Seems like every time I get one fixed how I want it, I sell it. I've gotta stop that b/c it's too expensive to do.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel the same way, i would like to have a C5 and i could have one if was to sale my car and put a big down payment on one but i do love my car but i know that im gunna have to replace stuff bc its gunna break..
Ive got that feeling bc now im just wanting something to just to cruise in and be nice..
Old 05-24-2007, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just keep it & enjoy your hard work without having to spend anymore money. Then if the Camaro is paid off & you still want a C5, just add one to your collection & enjoy the Camaro while you mod the C5. Thats what I'd do anyway.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 99 z28 that got me into the LS1s. I bought it with a cam, boltons, TCI 4400, 3.73s, bilsteins, lowered, chrome zr1s, etc etc. It ran high 11s when I bought it and was a super clean car. I did a heads/cam setup on it and it didn't pick up as much as I was hoping it would (picked up ~40rwhp, but only 2 tenths in the 1/4).
I got the C5 bug and went all out, bought an '02 Electron Blue ZO6 w/ mod red interior (hence the s/n). I LOVED that car, it was freaking NICE and was pretty quick for basically stock (CAI, headers, xpipe, borla stingers). But since I'm getting married and my fiance's car was on the way out, and to 'save' money, I sold it to buy her a new car and I bought myself another ls1 camaro. They're so much cheaper to mod, but the vettes are soo awesome to drive. I will definitely own another one sometime...hopefully sooner than later.
The 98 I have now runs what the last car ran and I paid less for it...
I guess what I'm tryin to say is make sure you're ready for a vette, payment, insurance, gas (from driving it more because theyre so damn fun haha), and more $ to mod is the downside.

I plan on getting this one paid off and going after a C6 ZO6 in another 3.5 years
I suggest holding onto yours til its paid for..as mentioned, and buying a C5 then.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

I definitely do the same thing. My wife and I are very close to paying off a couple large debts, including her car. Knowing we won't have nearly the monthly bills, I keep looking at the Camaro and thinking, 'maybe I should sell it and get a C6' or 'maybe I should stop modding it and wait for the new Camaro to come out'. It's why you see people like Tony (Nine Ball) selling cars all the time. You finish your goals with a car, enjoy it for a while, then start to get the itch to start a new project.

-Mike
Old 05-24-2007, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I always do that. To me, the hobby is in customizing/modifying a car. Then I drive it around for a while and get bored without anything left to upgrade. So, I start thinking about the next project vehicle.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

I sold my Z28 and regret it everyday! I bought a C5, and absolutly love it, but i should never have gave up the Z28. After all is said and done, I should have just got both, but I did sell the car to my sister. She bought it for her son who is only 15! He cant even drive it, but he washes it dam near every day, lol. So at least It is in good hands.

I love the style and performace of the C5 , and have put headers and HF caqts and a cam in it already. And there is a Procharger on my garage floor waiting to go in.

But my 98 Z28 was fun, and sooo much cheaper to mod. So if your thinking about getting rid of your TA or Z for a C5 think hard about it. I know everyone cant have both, so make sure your willing to fork out the exstra chash to mod a C5 befor you give up your f body.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:06 AM

I sold my SS b/c I got bored with it. About 6 months later I missed it, or I just missed the fact of having a fast car, and ended up getting another fbody.

I've learned that the less I mod a car now, the longer I will keep it. So I try not to touch anything anymore lol.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

I always go car/truck/car/truck etc. I usually keep them till time to put new tires on them.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I sold my Z when I was done modding it...I guess thats where all the fun is.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Teching In

How do you think I feel? I finally bought a gorgeous 2000 SS a few months ago. I was pumped to install my Kooks, GMMG, FAST w/ NW, brakes, etc. And what happens? My Father goes out and buys a 2005 SOM Vette. The thing is frigin gorgeous. Makes me want to return the parts sitting in my living room and buy a C6.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

theres always room to go faster...
Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Magnet
theres always room to go faster...
Yep..you can go as fast as your wallet will let you
Old 05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

I dont know, but I bought my brand car new so I cant see myself getting rid of it so easily. If anything Id like to collect some camaros and have 3 or 4 of them. I always said when I got my car Id never sell it, ever, so I really dont think its gonna happen. If I decide I want something else Ill just get that too while keeping my Z.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

You guys are weird. I bought my car new in August of 98. I have been modding it ever so slowly, and whenever I think I am done, I take it up a notch higher. If you take your time doing it, you will enjoy the car much more. I for one can't see myself ever selling this thing, it has sentimental value too. Needless to say it is paid off, and has been for a while. Once my truck is paid off too, I'll have a little more money to set aside for the bigger projects, since everything I have done so far to the car is minor.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

i've always wanted a tt supra and almost got one before i got the TA. if someone wanted to trade me straight up for my car i would be down. forgive me trans am, forgive me.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I couldn't ever sell my car either. I sold my first Camaro which was a 81' & even had a chance to buy it back for $400, but passed it up. I still kick myself in the *** cause by now it would have been finished. I said when I finally got one of these I'd keep it forever. Plus once it's paid off I can always get something else & mod it.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

My situation is a little bit different. I bought parts to mod my car but now thinking about just selling the parts to put for a down payment for a C5...decisions...decisions...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone else get the "sell the car" bug after completing mods?