Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Meguiars Scratch X....uh...is this intended to create scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meguiars Scratch X....uh...is this intended to create scratches?

Ok, so I had some very minor scratches on my driver side rear fender and I figuered I'll try this stuff out. I used a brand new Zaino applicator pad to to apply this stuff, and the car was more than clean when I started using it. I did it in the garage with the door closed during daytime hours, and after some rubbing (thorough rubbing), and removal with a tropiccare microfiber towel, the damn thing did nothing to those scratches. So I think to myself, ok, lets try the reaaaaaaaaallly fine ones on the passenger side, they shouldn't be a problem since you can only see them when in direct sunlight, and even then you have to look for them. So I follow the same procedure, and after I am done removing it....the scratches are now way worse!?

Are you supposed to use something else after you apply that stuff?

I really don't want to spend more money on the stuff they recommend on the Meguairs Scratch X tube. The whole car is newly Zainoed with 3 coats of Z5. I do have the Meguairs cleaner wax here as well as the polish stuff from their 3 step program, should I try to use one of those and then top it off with more Z5?

Thanks!

Manny
Old 05-31-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen scratch x in action and it works great. You need to apply it a few times and use some elbow grease.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

careful or it might take off some of your clear coat
Old 05-31-2007, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

^ It's supposed to do that.

Otherwise, the scratches wouldn't come off.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a few scratches on my car for which I've been using Scratch X. It really worked for me, but you need to work really hard on each scratch (with a clean applicator pad). I put as much pressure as I can and rub rub rub each scratch for maybe 20 minutes. At the end, the scratches have not disappeared but are a lot smaller and hard to notice. I'm sure they would disappear if I was to insist, but as is the scratches don't bother me anymore.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the idea though to have to go back over it with some sort of polishing wax to make it look good? Because so far it only made it look worse?

20 minutes? Holy Cow! I am guessing you periodically apply more of that stuff on there since it kinda rubs itself dry after a while. The second set of scratches were really fine...coudn't feel them with the fingernail and were almost hard to see, they showed up clearer after the first application of that stuff.

I'll try again tonight.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

It worked on my car and it's great. It works on alot of NOT through clear coat scratches. Have you had any body shop experience? With wet sanding/buffing and such?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

c'mon, scratches add character, at least thats my mentality being i own a black car.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sbusby
It worked on my car and it's great. It works on alot of NOT through clear coat scratches. Have you had any body shop experience? With wet sanding/buffing and such?

No wetsanding or real body shop expierience, just the basics of how to keep the car clean...use the right products, do the clay thing and using Zaino.

I just looked over the car again, and for some reason I can't find those scratches I saw yesterday anymore.

Don't know....maybe due to the lack of direct sunlight.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1owner4life
careful or it might take off some of your clear coat

Theres no way ScratchX would go through clear... technically its possible but it would take more applications then a tube of ScratchX could supply.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

I had no luck with it. And I'll be damned if I am going to spend 20 minutes rubbing one scratch, it will stay there.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used something along the lines of scratch X with my porter cable on some deeper scratches (could barely catch them with a fingernail). Didn't do crap. Of course, neither did my Menzerna intensive polish with an orange pad so maybe they need a bit more attention than scratch x Just putting my .02 in.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

All meguires products for scratches and swirls that I've used require some good ole elbow grease but they do work. Just that you gotta work too lol. Porter cable ???.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
All meguires products for scratches and swirls that I've used require some good ole elbow grease but they do work. Just that you gotta work too lol. Porter cable ???.
Yea it takes a lot of rubbing!
Old 06-01-2007, 02:59 AM
TECH Veteran

what about the light scratches on the roofs? i have a shitload of them only when light hits it certain places.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
what about the light scratches on the roofs? i have a shitload of them only when light hits it certain places.
It should work pretty good on the sail panel.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:54 AM
12 Second Club

Guys it's gonna be tough to remove any imperfections with your hands. But if you want to get em out your gonna have to really dig in and use some elbow grease and some time. Stuff like that was meant for buffers and porter cables.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone tried Kit Scratch Out? That stuff is miraculous. When I got my car, it looked great. After a couple washings, I could see all the haze from the compound, the entire car looked awful. I used Scratch out on the entire finish, and it looked 95% better. Used Meguiars Hand Glaze #9 after that and it looked just about like a new car. I now use Scratch Out as a spot scratch remover, followed by #9, then wax. Important to use clean applicators and removers, especially with a black car. I use Kleenex, which leaves lint, but the lint is easy to remove. It allows me to use a fresh cloth every spot I work on without bankrupting me.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

I used it on my Z right after I bought it because there was a hazy apearance when direct sunlight hit it, plus swirls all over.

It was definately a PITA to use, being you have to put a fair amount on because it doesn't coat large areas like other products you might use, and it sucks taking it off. Definately took some elbow grease, but when I was done I was VERY pleased with the results...

Before I scratch x in direct sun there was haze and swirls...now you can see there weren't after I finished it..

And just a shot of the door and hood to show how clear it looked after..

Old 06-01-2007, 10:02 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

The Meguiars stuff works. Now I have had a different mistake in the past and used rubbing compound, and the spots I did looked worse.

Quick Reply: Meguiars Scratch X....uh...is this intended to create scratches?