Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Billett Grill Install

Old 06-07-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Billett Grill Install

Hello guys. I just picked up a billett grill for my 2002 SS. I also bought the 69 "SS" emblem and plan to find a way to attach it to the billett grill. Most of the install notes I've seen for these involve everyone simply placing the grill on top of the stock "CAMARO" grill and screwing it down at the four mounting points, however my car has the SLP "SS" grill (which protrudes outward and it makes mounting the billett grill on top of it practically impossible).

On to Plan B. I would like to remove the stock SLP SS grill and mount the billett grill, however I can't exactly figure out how to get the stock grill off without breaking something. I have a picture of where the various tabs are located, however I haven't figured out how to get them out without cutting them. Anyone have any tips or tricks? Once I do finally get the stock grill off, can I simply paint the area black and screw in the new grill or will I need anything special to hold it in place?

And finally, if anyone has successfully mounted the 69 emblem on a billett grill, will you please clue me in on how you pulled it off? Since the v-shaped bend doesn't line up properly, I tried to bend mine out and (just like what happened to others) the emblem broke in half. I'd love to fabricate a bracket to attach the emblems to the back, however it is a lock bolt that holds it on (as opposed to a threaded nut and bolt) and I will need to clearance it to fit properly. Anyone have any tips for this as well. Perhaps I could cut the posts on the back of the emblem off and try to glue the two pieces to the grill?

Sorry for all of the questions, however I'm just a little worried I'll rip the stock one off and screw something up!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you ever get the slp grill off, just screw that billet one on, thats how i did mine, and holds great!! no rattles clinks or clanks.....
Old 06-07-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks! I also just checked out the other grill-related thread posted below and it looks like it should be pretty easy to get the SLP grill off (without breaking anything) if I simply take the time to remove the front bumper. I don't mind taking a little extra time to get it right, so I'll go look around on SLP's website to see if I can figure out how to take the front bumper off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Billett Grill Install